Can this plugin (CKEditor for WordPress) have new life

Right. I guess what I was getting at is that it’s probably not going to be a long-term solution.

Interesting to read that TinyMCE Advanced has now all sorts of Gutenberg stuff in it. Until now, I had not noticed that on sites where I use it along with CP, but this is important information indeed. I would be quite interested to know which advanced editor(s) other participants to this forum would recommend with long-term CP compatibility in mind?

1 Like

What would make a lot of sense, since CP tries to be business focused, is to make advance TinyMCE either part of core or a core plugin. TinyMCE does already have plenty of advanced features, that’s what Advanced TinyMCE plugin was doing - bringing original features back in. WordPress uses stripped down version.

5 Likes

@viktor is probably right.

But by far the best editor for WP/CP that I know of is Froala: https://www.froala.com/wysiwyg-editor

The problem is that Froala is not free. Actually, it’s quite expensive: https://www.froala.com/wysiwyg-editor/pricing

1 Like

This is off-topic, but I have used Summernote in a project of mine and loved it: https://summernote.org/

1 Like

I thought Summernote looked really good when I last investigated editors, but I haven’t actually tried it. Good to know!

1 Like

There was another discussion related to TinyMCE.

That’s why I thought sticking with TinyMCE and bringing advance functionality back might make more sense.

2 Likes

Indeed, it seems like it would be a good idea to fork/archive an older version of the Advanced TinyMCE plugin without the newer Gutenberg features.

Any takers?

3 Likes

As @viktor mentioned WP uses a modified version of TinyMCE. Therefore it would make sense to integrate the original distribution of the editor (perhaps as plugin because it is updated regularly).

1 Like

Thank you for the information. I did not know Froala, but the price is quite high indeed. Unless they offetr some big discount some day, I will probably stick with other options. Well, they obviously target… the business market… :thinking:

I think @anon71687268 is working on this now.

4 Likes

True story. Here it is: Enriched Editor.

10 Likes

Thank you for your work! I will install it on my CP sites! I assume that it is better to disable TinyMCE Advanced (or any other editing plugin) first?

1 Like

It’s only just been forked – consider it beta.

5 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: WYSIWYG Advanced - Error

9 posts were split to a new topic: Should WYSIWIG Advanced be bundles with core?

I have WYSIWYG Advanced activated on ~50 sites. It’s working great!

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Should WYSIWIG Advanced be bundles with core?

I did just see this list: Options for "must-have" plugins - #4
Nothing on there yet besides the Advanced Editor that I would consider would meet a strict bundling criteria. An Advanced Setings plugin would be a good example addition, have seen a few attempts at that but nothing really solid to suggest at this point.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: WYSIWIG Advanced renaming