Classic SEO - issue editing snippet/title

I installed Classic SEO on a brand new site with no other plugins and the default theme. It did appear to work as expected in that I was able to edit the snippet. It was just a super quick look at the code on the master branch to ensure it wasn’t a conflict at the base level… it wasn’t an actual attempt to reproduce the error. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve 2 sites running smoothly through all updates. Next week I’ll move other 5 so I can test a bit…

4 Likes

No, sorry. Didn’t intend to misquote you or anything. All I meant to say is that you didn’t experience the same problems as @spanner44 when you tried it.

2 Likes

This is what happens when I install the updated versions.

First problem, if I highlight some text, then click the insert link button, the little box appears as usual with a place for the url as well as the cog. If I press the cog which take me to more options, the page freezes. I can click on the side bar (Dashboard, Media, pages etc), I can click on publish, save draft as long as it is the view. But basically it is frozen.

Second problem is in the classic seo box/tab. the title doent show, it says you can enter a custom text and if you tryt and enter a meta description, then as soon as you click ‘Edit Snippet’, the page scrolls to the top.

Also, I presume this is related, but haven’t checked this, is that a contributor asked me why all my links had reverted to no-follow, when I hadn’t done anything different. This seemed to resolve itself according to him when I reverted back to RankMath and I presume is ok on v0.2.2

I hope this is clear. As I have previously mentioned, RankMath (latest updated version) appears to work fine and also classic seo v0.2.2 (which I am now currently using seems to work ok as well.

2 Likes

That part sounds like a JS error. It could be that the JS didn’t load, it’s conflicting with something else, or the id on the link doesn’t match what the JS is targeting.

2 Likes

Certainly does.

I can’t answer this except to say that there is a setting in General Settings → Links that allows all external links to be set to nofollow, but this is disabled by default. It might be worth checking though just to rule it out.

@spanner44 are you familiar with the browser dev console? Pressing F12 usually opens the console. If you go to edit a page or post with the dev console open, then refresh the page, in the “console” tab, it should show any JS errors if there are any.

Similarly, if you go to the “network” tab, that will show any 404 errors.

As an example, the console looks like this in Firefox:

Sorry if I’m teaching your grandmother to suck eggs!

Finally, if you want me to logon to your site sometime, please pm me the details but I’ll understand perfectly if you’d rather not do this.

1 Like

I hope I have got this correct.

Updated once again to latest version. Cleared cache. Same problem.

Did the console and this is what I got in Red:

JQMIGRATE: Migrate is installed, version 1.4.1
jquery.tag-editor.js?ver=1.0.21:1 Uncaught ReferenceError: classicPress is not defined
at jquery.tag-editor.js?ver=1.0.21:1
at jquery.tag-editor.js?ver=1.0.21:1
jquery.tag-editor.js?ver=1.0.21:1 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘replace’ of undefined
at a.fn.init.a.fn.tagEditor (jquery.tag-editor.js?ver=1.0.21:1)
at new e (post-metabox.js?ver=0.3.2:1)
at e.value (post-metabox.js?ver=0.3.2:1)
at e.value (post-metabox.js?ver=0.3.2:1)
at new n (post-metabox.js?ver=0.3.2:1)
at HTMLDocument. (post-metabox.js?ver=0.3.2:1)
at i (load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,utils,moxiejs,plupload&ver=cp_eee8806a:2)
at Object.fireWith [as resolveWith] (load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,utils,moxiejs,plupload&ver=cp_eee8806a:2)
at Function.ready (load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,utils,moxiejs,plupload&ver=cp_eee8806a:2)
at HTMLDocument.J (load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,utils,moxiejs,plupload&ver=cp_eee8806a:2)
(unknown) DomDistiller debug level: 0

When I click the link options I get this:

wp-tinymce.php?c=1&ver=4800-20180716:45 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘show’ of undefined
at Object.open (wplink.js:1)
at i.onclick (wp-tinymce.php?c=1&ver=4800-20180716:45)
at jg.c.fire (wp-tinymce.php?c=1&ver=4800-20180716:3)
at i.fire (wp-tinymce.php?c=1&ver=4800-20180716:5)
at HTMLDivElement.o (wp-tinymce.php?c=1&ver=4800-20180716:5)
at C (wp-tinymce.php?c=1&ver=4800-20180716:3)
at HTMLDivElement.d (wp-tinymce.php?c=1&ver=4800-20180716:3)
open @ wplink.js:1
onclick @ wp-tinymce.php?c=1&ver=4800-20180716:45
c.fire @ wp-tinymce.php?c=1&ver=4800-20180716:3
fire @ wp-tinymce.php?c=1&ver=4800-20180716:5
o @ wp-tinymce.php?c=1&ver=4800-20180716:5
C @ wp-tinymce.php?c=1&ver=4800-20180716:3
d @ wp-tinymce.php?c=1&ver=4800-20180716:3

Nothing changed when I clicked Edit snippet, it just returns me to the top of the page.

attached screenshot of the test post with the snippet section, which normally has the title already in place and the snippet is able to be changed.

Hope this helps. I don’t mind you looking at my site, where do you want me to send the info to for login etc.

HEdit Post ‹ Life in France — ClassicPress.pdf (500.8 KB)

2 Likes

Too long didn’t read (litterally I didn’t read all of the above): try disabling cloudflare.
I know it seems not related, but I have a very strong gut feeling…
I also agree it “could be” js related.
One of the errors you mention comes from a cloudflare timeout. So first I would disable it and see if something changes.

1 Like

Thanks for this @spanner44.

There are a number of things here that all point to Classic SEO, the most telling being:

Uncaught ReferenceError: classicPress is not defined at jquery.tag-editor.js?ver=1.0.21:1

For information, the following JS files (mentioned in your post) are all related to Classic SEO:

• jquery.tag-editor.js
  • post-metabox.js
  • wplink.js

The error “classicPress is not defined” suggests that your installation has got a bit messed up. It seems to have a mix of old and new files as “classicPress” is no longer used in version 0.3.x. That’s from version 0.2.x.

I will send you a private message to which you can respond and give me the login details.

3 Likes

@ElisabettaCarrara could you let me know which is the Cloudflare error please so I can investigate further? Thanks.

1 Like

Many thanks for your help. Private message sent with info for you.

3 Likes

This one.
Cloudflare throwing tantrums.
I had inexplicable things happening on a site once. Things seemingly a plugin conflict but no php logs. But broken js and cloudflare getting in the middle of it all.
My culprit was cloudflare…
Here it seems it is throwing tantrums so a check is in order.

2 Likes

Thanks @ElisabettaCarrara. I’ll add this to my notes for future reference. I have no experience of working with Cloudflare so can’t really comment on performance issues but it’s still useful to know.

In this particular case, going on the console errors as reported by @spanner44 and my subsequent investigation, it seems that a Cloudflare tantrum wasn’t to blame here, as I’ll explain in a separate post.

2 Likes

Well, I logged on to @spanner44’s site and think I’ve got to the bottom of the problem.

First of all, I re-uploaded v0.3.2 of Classic SEO to the existing classicpress-seo directory, went into CP admin, onto the plugins page and refreshed the page. This showed v0.3.2 as being installed.

I then tried to edit the snippet in a random page but this failed. On clicking the “Edit Snippet” button, the page jumped to the top as previously described by @spanner44.

I then looked at the source code for the page and noticed that old versions of certain JS files were still being loaded by WP Fastest Cache.

I manually deleted everything in the wp-content/cache/wpfc-minified folder, refreshed the browser and then everything worked as expected.

So in this case, it appears the installation was fine, Classic SEO was working fine, but WPFC was loading old files.

Should anyone come across a similar problem and you’re using a cache / minify plugin, clear the cache after updating Classic SEO (or any plugin for that matter).

Thanks for @spanner44 for allowing me to login to his system to investigate this.

10 Likes

Many thanks for sorting the problem out.

I must say that I wasn’t expecting such a personal touch, which I thinks proves to me that i made the right choice in using this plugin, and also reaffirms that I made the right decision in Classicpress as the attitude of the community in general seems to follow the same ethos.

Many thanks.

13 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Plugin support and site admin credentials

Happy to help. I’m just glad we were able to get to the bottom of the problem.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.