ClassicCommerce v2

Let’s change that.

I need people that point out all the wonderful things that the competition is doing, and report back it’s implementation and impact factors. It seems that you have a head start on that front, and you’re a “Founding Committee Member”. Care to lead that effort?

If your team can provide the data metrics for feature inclusion, which will result in further adoption of the product then I am comfortable elevating your feature requests. I can say unequivocally that knowing what to develop is more important than code the itself.

I think @arnandegans might be willing to provide some perspective…

Pm, me.

1 Like

I’m leaning toward this approach. I think this provides a more natural upgrade path and to some degree backwards compatibility. At some point in the course of merge-fork WC plugins will no longer be compatible with CC; which is fine because I think that CC should have it’s own plugin “bazaar”. This ensures compatibility with CC; if you need a feature then it should be a filtered result with what you already have in place. If there is solution but it includes a plugin migration, then it should detail those changes like a package manager would do.

Agreed. I think that contributing and adoption to CC core should impact the algorithm on your plugin rankings in the CC store. This IMO will help drive CC core development. It also has the advantage of keeping the CP Store (one day?) clean from child plugins, which are just adverts for the parent and their “super-size” me nags.

Doesn’t anyone else think that WP Store is overwhelming experience? Other thoughts?

1 Like

Insane? Only according to my last psych eval, what do doctors know? pfft!

A rewrite(maybe more write than rewrite) gives us the most freedom. @ElisabettaCarrara is making a good argument for looking strongly at a woo competitor, I’ve just glanced at it, but I’m curious what’s going on with the data.

Regardless, if it’s more expeditious to write/rewrite to get exactly what a community wants, then we develop something that is thriving and unique. We build our community. Those that are a port of the process get to take credit for it.

I don’t know what JigoShop is but I imagine it’s worth consideration. The best part is that if we model the DB correctly, we can market our solution to woo, jigoshop, ecwid, easycart, etc. users as any easy migration path. Our first migration path would be CCv1 to CCv2. Perhaps, we have better feature sets, maybe our plugins cost them less, etc. I’ll save that for the marketing experts on here.

It’s only insane if we end up doing the same thing; and FYI, I passed my last psych eval on the retest, so it’s all is good. j/k.

Thanks for clarifying.

WooCommerce is a fork of Jigoshop, which is no longer available.

We need to make sure whatever we’re doing is done in manageable chunks, so we don’t bite off more than we can chew.

I would prefer we keep everything through the official directory for a few reasons:

• Directory will integrate with core installation/update mechanism, so there’s no extra work.
  • Directory submissions are reviewed, so we know plugins/themes are safe. The terms to be accepted can stipulate ads and abuse, so there will be less nonsense than WP’s repo.
  • Instead of having a separate CC store to maintain, CC can use directory API to filter plugins designated for CC. I believe WC does something like this, but I don’t have any active WC instances to check. But I do have Gravity Forms add-ons example (Gravity Forms works great with v2, btw):
  • WP repo is overwhelming because that’s how it was designed. We can make better decisions, making UI/UX much friendlier for everyone.

What we should keep in mind while building apps and UIs is “progressive enhancement,” so anyone can use it with or without JavaScript.

WP Tavern following our discussion :grin:

Jigoshop is dead.it was woo father. It died when woo was born basically because “aggressive marketing backed up by WP com money” - me thinks jigishop wasn’t open on being automattic controlled, someone forked it and now WP owns the fork.

It was at WP 2/3 time. Many years ago. It’s not reforkable because it would mean a massive job to bring it up to speed and modernize.

That was well written. Probably a bit dramatized at the end but overall pretty good. A little publicity doesn’t hurt.

1 Like

I retract my previous statement about JigoShop. lol.

I didn’t know this under development. Seems like our thoughts are in alignment, but we just had different approaches to implementation, this seems better.

I spent the better part of my day traveling and contemplating this point. Given our constraints, for what’s ahead of us, I think that the waterfall project management method will suit our purposes best.

Most of this discussion is “pie in the sky”, but I still want to know what people want and don’t want. Right now it seems that if CCv2.0 looks & feels like CCv1 but in CPv2 then most are happy. Which works really well, but if there is some underneath the hood changes that we are going to depreciate in favor of a plugin solving that requirement; or vice versa.

Then I want to know those things early on so we can work and adopt the changes from the start. There’s no need in patching code that we are not ultimately going to use. Before development gets underway we will have a planning meeting.

In the meantime, I want to hear more from more people.

2 Likes

OK. Good luck and I sincerely hope that anything I have contributed will be of some use to you. I was especially pleased with my collection of snippets (didn’t quite make it to 100!). But you will probably need to retest all of them again on any new version you create.

@ozfiddler if you got time, what would it take for you to switch back to using CC? I know it’s a long shot and wishful thinking on my part, but I think it would help shimmy plan and prioritize better. You know CC, WC, and other e-commerce platforms so your feedback is very valuable :slight_smile:

One of the main reasons I switched to Ecwid is that I am trying to ease myself out of the website business. I will be 70 next year and I’m looking to gradually phase out my responsibilities. I figured that an external ecommerce solution would be the most flexible for a handover (plus I hate WooCommerce and I was really impressed with Ecwid). So I won’t be going back in that direction, but I am happy to give feedback or thoughts.

If CP is still keen to maintain their own ecommerce option then I think the simplest solution is to develop the current version of CC - that would require the least amount of time and effort. I actually had CC running for a while on WordPress. I recall that I needed to make a small change in one file, but once I had done that it worked perfectly. I can’t remember what version of WP I was using at the time (or what the file was!). I think I switched sites over to Ecwid about 8-9 months ago so CC was still working with WP then.

So, as a first step it would be well worth testing the current CC with CP2 and seeing what problems turn up. I guess that’s Shimmy’s option 4. Once you have it working in the current shape then you could look at adding enhancements that some users need (like European tax stuff).

1 Like

Ah… found it. This issue needed to be fixed for CC to work with WP, so I guess it will also need to be fixed for CP2.

Edit. Wait… looks like we did a partial fix already:

1 Like

Thank-you!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Enjoy retirement :slightly_smiling_face: :tada:

1 Like

Well, I have some good news and something graphic to share (if you have a weak stomach don’t scroll down any further).

The good news is that we have a handful of volunteers, so far, to help with the development process. If you’re new to development or coding, and you want to get involved this is the project for that. It took me a couple of languages to learn to how to code, but it wasn’t until I started reading and working on other people’s code that I learned how to develop. There’s a lot of code to learn from here. Even if you have just watched a few tutorial video’s, don’t be afraid to get in the mix. Maybe you don’t contribute a single line of committed code for v2.0, but I suspect when we start v2.1, you’ll be ready and eager. Besides you really can’t break what is already broken; and even if you did that’s the reason for version control.

Now for the graphic news. Lastnight, I was messing with CCv1 on CPv2 (nightly), the install went great, and the Dashboard worked (mostly), I loaded in the demo products just fine, I found the one theme that was compatible with both; the Asteroid Theme (I might have been the first person to install it this decade or the last), and just as expected the public side of the CCv1 is broke. It completely failed to load, let alone render.

Long version short, due to some peculiar behavior I noticed, while I was playing with things and thanks this post:

I was able to get a broken store page and a near perfect products page to render on a refresh. I grinned with excitement. I’m very confident that when dev team applies (and we learn from) the method that I used last-night and confirmed today, that we can get a working (read hack) version of CCv1 up and running on CPv2 pretty quickly. It won’t be a production ready thing; honestly it’s ugly at it gets. What I did last-night was more akin to hot-wiring a cold war era spaceship while in suspended orbit with dental floss and a bumble-gum wrapper (Thanks MacGyver, you taught me so much).

@ozfiddler, seriously, thank-you for the lead! If you’re interested in one last hurrah before you start your next chapter, I’d gladly eat my words and welcome you onto the CCv2 dev team. PM me if you’re interested and if nothing else please allow me pick your brain.

In the meantime, I know what you are thinking: “a post like this means nothing without pics.” Then feast your eyes on this and receive the same ear-to-ear grin of excitement that I did.

Regardless, there is still be long process ahead until the CCv2 code base is alpha ready, but we have arrived at the starting line.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

1 Like

Try with twentyfifteen or twentytwelve. I use both for my development sites and never ran into trouble with them on WP6+ AND CC/WC setups.
They’re so nice and stable I use them as a default on ALL my test sites as a baseline for determining if plugins work and developing new ones.

about asteroid, I was the first to discover it… sorry. I think I mentioned it on slack or here in the past. Same author has two themes, the other one is Frontier and both are very good - I tried to contact them to ask if they were willing to put these two in our dir they never replied to me.

About twenty fifteen and twenty twelve I think these are both robust themes, but personally for a shop theme I see asteroid or frontier better for they have a more conventional look, and the option to have two sidebars active at the same time while setting the width of everything. This might come in handy for shops that need to show filters on the left and categories (or cart) to the right (amazon does that) - what I am saying is that the users might want a design that solves some issue like “where do I place a search filter” design-wise. I know the important thing is that CC works but it has also to be compatible with a theme that is suitable for e-commerce. and 2015 / 2012 were not meant for this, they were blogging themes.

An older theme that I used in the past that was very good is Skeleton WP theme. If anyone wants a boilerplate theme to create an e-commerce theme, this could be a good start:

I have not used it in a while, so I wouldn’t recommend anyone use it in production. But it can be a good starting point.

WooCommerce 8.0.1 Fix Release
A critical issue that has been identified in WooCommerce version 8.0. As a result, we are releasing an update to 8.0 to ensure the stability and reliability of your WooCommerce-powered websites. Please read this advisory carefully for more information on how this affects you and the necessary steps to take.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.