ClassicPress + Divi 4.0 Cannot load JS resource/404

I contacted GitHub support and this is fixed now.

3 Likes

Well, I’ve gotten absolutely no where with ET Support. It’s clear they are not going to support CP. The entire conversation with them I feel has become rather toxic and not focused on Support at all. To keep using Divi I will have to move back to WP. :disappointed_relieved:

This bothers me a lot. I believe in CP and the roadmap of work. I really don’t like having to switch b’c of a theme developer. If there is anything I can do to that will help CP grow, please let me know, even if it’s something small. I’m in CompSci courses now and learning more and more to develop myself professionally, too.

Thank you for the assistance you have provided. :100:

5 Likes

Look at the response I just got from ET… different support person.

Hi Leslie! wave

I can confirm that there’s a bug with WordPress 4.9.X that prevented the Visual Builder and the new Theme Builder from working. This is reported and it should be fixed in the next updates, I don’t currently have any specific ETA however it should be very soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Of course this was after being addresses in a very condescending manner. But, they’ve acknowledged it.

5 Likes

Well, well, well. They’ve admitted what we knew all along. As long as they do fix it, then you’re OK for the time being but it’s clear that they have no long term plans to support WP4.9.x.

But you don’t need to give up on Divi (just yet) or move back to WP. You can carry on using an older version of Divi (like I’m doing on a couple of sites). Version 3.20.2 seems to work fine for me but I think it’s pot luck what works and what doesn’t. Find a version that works and stick with it unless you desperately need features in later versions.

From what I’ve seen of Divi 4, it’s even more bloated. For example, Divi 3.20.2 is 6.8MB (compressed) whereas Divi 4 is 8.6MB. Perhaps you could stick with an older version of Divi until you find a lighter alternative that complements the ClassicPress goal of reducing bloat?

Just a thought. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Great advice. On my test site I can do whatever. The others are client sites. When the time comes to r/d them, I want to go headless. I could use CP for the backend and Angular Universal for the front.

2 Likes

This is going to be an increasingly useful option I think. I did the same thing with my favourite theme (GeneratePress). I could see they were starting to include Gutenberg functionality so I just made my own clone of the theme and stripped out all the stuff I didn’t need (eg all the upsell links).

The only problem is with security fixes that might be introduced later… we won’t be getting those.

2 Likes

Hi @LeslieM, another Divi user here. As far as my developer has been able to discern, there appears to be an error where they are not calling the needed libraries to make Divi work on WP pre-Gutenberg. I’ve also brought this to their attention and have been met with the same condescending attitude – which, frankly, I’ve found to be systemic with most theme developers until I could demonstrate that I did indeed know what I was talking about.

At any rate – I’m glad to hear they have finally acknowledged that there is an issue at all and that they intend to fix it; it looks like there’s been quite a few bugs in 4.0 (judging from the way they keep releasing updates) and I suppose we can be happy that they’re making an effort.

I would love to see Divi offer support for ClassicPress but it will take some number of us continually pinging them and asking for the support before we will make ourselves heard. Thank you for taking the time to work with them even with their poor attitude.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Good day! It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

I had also found a compatibility issues with Smush and was told there wasn’t. However, 2 updates later ET has resolved the issue with Smush and it’s referenced in their change logs. There have been numerous challenges with the release of 4.0. It could be largely mitigated by their own community if they allowed vendors who make Divi specific software (plugins, etc) to beta test. ET could then integrate issues into their official CI/CD channel for development. Instead, their approach is very reactive. The MVP of their major updates are very buggy. These are only my thoughts and observations. Not necessarily true or accurate. I have really liked Divi over the years. That being said, I have rarely had an issue with Divi in the past. I was shocked at the tone of one of the support persons.

Are you in the Phoenix area? I noticed your alias. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree – I enjoy using Divi and it has really helped me grow my business over the last couple of years. However, Gutenberg has caused some major issues for my business model – which is why I got involved with ClassicPress.

Glad you’re here – this is a fantastic community and I’m glad to be a part of it all.

Although I have family out that way, I’m not in the Phoenix area. My business name is BlueSkyPhoenix, a reference to the story of the Phoenix. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same here. My clients do not care for not want anything to do with the Gutenberg roadmap and WP is going.

I’m in Phoenix. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As I am doing with Genesis Framework.

I hope, someone will fork most used themes, builders, frameworks to pre-bloated state.

In case of Divi, I have a strong personal dislike because of mess in code output. As a builder, Elementor is much better, IMHO. And Dynamik is even better (I’d said, the best, but it uses a very different approach).

2 Likes

I’m not particularly a fan of Divi either but I’ve used it on a couple of sites because the client specifically asked for it. And it looks like I’m soon to inherit another site built using Divi.

When I build sites from scratch, I tend to use Understrap but as this itself is based on Automattic’s Underscores, I think it’s time for a change.

Anyone used Roots?

1 Like

The Force Majeure event: inheritance. :slight_smile: The problem: you can’t change clients testament.

To me, Divi and Business-focused in the same sentence sound strange, in the best case.

2 Likes

Sorry to interrupt this post not directly Divi related, but appertains to site builders and inheritance.
I took over a site recently that uses BeTheme that has muffin builder built in, previous developer also installed visual composer.
So the site has some content is in the normal wordpress editor, some comes from scripts in a child theme, some in muffin, some in vc and some in the child theme page templates.
It can take longer to find where the content is than to edit it and locating css is even more fun. The site images were in a theme images folder on a completely different wordpress installation on the same server. Did I mention the custom page templates in Woo.
As you can guess from me being here on ClassicPress I was not overly fond of page builders to start off with and this site confirms my worst impressions.
Looking on the bright side, I suppose I should be glad the site was created pre-gut

5 Likes

Yes, life would be so much easier without clients :wink:

My main issue with Divi has always been that it’s full of bloat. Now that I’m fully committed to ClassicPress, this is even more of an issue for me as it works against the core aim of CP to reduce bloat. As an example, the core stylesheet of Divi is something like 800KB (uncompressed) which is just nonsense to me.

But I know non-developers find it easy and quick to work with which is also an important factor to take into consideration.

2 Likes

That sounds like a nightmare @Mark. It must take the site a whole day to even think about loading :smile:

I’ve inherited some awful sites before now but never one that bad. Sounds like a rebuild is in order to me…and good luck with that!! I can see what you’re going to be doing for the next few weeks/months.

The site is working and the client is blissfully unaware of what is under the hood. It has a custom pricing plugin that links to the theme, woo and wolddpay, price updates in real time depending on delivery location and quantity. I have so far been unable to get the plugin to work on another/staging site, it seems to contain site specific links. So until I have this plugin or a usable alternative working, the site is staying as is and relying on regular back ups, fingers crossed, thumbs held, etc. depending on your location.

2 Likes

Well good luck whatever you end up doing :slightly_smiling_face:

This is my general experience with page builders also. I understand the appeal, but not for me.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.