ClassicPress + Divi 4.0 Cannot load JS resource/404

Sorry to interrupt this post not directly Divi related, but appertains to site builders and inheritance.
I took over a site recently that uses BeTheme that has muffin builder built in, previous developer also installed visual composer.
So the site has some content is in the normal wordpress editor, some comes from scripts in a child theme, some in muffin, some in vc and some in the child theme page templates.
It can take longer to find where the content is than to edit it and locating css is even more fun. The site images were in a theme images folder on a completely different wordpress installation on the same server. Did I mention the custom page templates in Woo.
As you can guess from me being here on ClassicPress I was not overly fond of page builders to start off with and this site confirms my worst impressions.
Looking on the bright side, I suppose I should be glad the site was created pre-gut

5 Likes

Yes, life would be so much easier without clients :wink:

My main issue with Divi has always been that it’s full of bloat. Now that I’m fully committed to ClassicPress, this is even more of an issue for me as it works against the core aim of CP to reduce bloat. As an example, the core stylesheet of Divi is something like 800KB (uncompressed) which is just nonsense to me.

But I know non-developers find it easy and quick to work with which is also an important factor to take into consideration.

2 Likes

That sounds like a nightmare @Mark. It must take the site a whole day to even think about loading :smile:

I’ve inherited some awful sites before now but never one that bad. Sounds like a rebuild is in order to me…and good luck with that!! I can see what you’re going to be doing for the next few weeks/months.

The site is working and the client is blissfully unaware of what is under the hood. It has a custom pricing plugin that links to the theme, woo and wolddpay, price updates in real time depending on delivery location and quantity. I have so far been unable to get the plugin to work on another/staging site, it seems to contain site specific links. So until I have this plugin or a usable alternative working, the site is staying as is and relying on regular back ups, fingers crossed, thumbs held, etc. depending on your location.

2 Likes

Well good luck whatever you end up doing :slightly_smiling_face:

This is my general experience with page builders also. I understand the appeal, but not for me.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.