Classicpress.json (or .yml)

Context

I have some plugins for WooCommerce and I’m working to make them fully compatible with ClassicPress. But I wish there was a native way to rename the plugin, without me having to edit my readme.txt. For example, in WordPress it would still be called “Something for WooCommerce” but in ClassicPress it would be “Something for CC” or “CC Something”.

Possible implementation

I just imagined it in a simple configuration file, named classicpress.json:

{
    "name": "My ClassicPress plugin name",
    "description": "My ClassicPress plugin description"
}

The version, stable tag, Requires PHP … could still be pulled from readme.txt

Will you be able to help with the implementation?

Yes, I would like to help.

Hi, thanks for starting a petition. I’m glad to see you’re making your plugins compatible with ClassicPress. It sounds like this is related to the discussion about README.md and readme.txt.

@timkaye is leading development on the plugin/theme directory, and readme.md/txt is currently being discussed. He can offer feedback on your json/yml suggestion.

It looks like we’ll be using a readme.md file for our software directory. So you could include both a readme.txt file and a readme.md file in your plugin: WP will parse the former, while CP will parse the latter.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Classic Commerce discussion

I think we shouldn’t make the same WordPress mistakes. The CMS should have a dedicated file (something.json like composer.json or package.json) instead of using README.md, which is a very opinionated file and should remain free for the developer to format as they prefers.

1 Like

Yes, JSON or YAML would be the modern approach for this.

YAML files are more “human” readable, and easier to write, they were built with that purpose in mind.

The current directory implementation will use README.md:

https://forums.classicpress.net/t/ditch-readme-txt-in-favour-of-readme-md/3382/

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.