ClassicPress Plugin Directory

This is something we had discussed in passing on Slack. The way we were going to approach that though was to allow our devs (contributors) to sell their services on the side, not directly through ClassicPress. We are planning a job portal where companies can go to post what services they are looking for, that would provide a source of revenue (from premium job posts, or something along those lines).

2 Likes

Great idea! I’d love to be able to hep “mom and pop shops” make the transition to ClassicPress and every source of income (minor or major) helps pay our bills. And if it could lead to web design or other things, all the better.

1 Like

If/when you get that going, am assuming you would have a page up for it… with the committee’s permission, I would be happy to establish a subdomain/site to assist with that. Let me know when/if

2 Likes

Dick, I’m a total web-head, and would love to get involved also. I just don’t feel I’m the Master Programmer many others here are. I can build just about anything using CP at this point since it’s forked.

1 Like

Everyone starts somewhere. Even if you’re not a master programmer, there’s still plenty of ways to be involved. In fact, it seems like you’re doing a great job of it so far! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is something we are trying very hard to change, the perception that you have to be a good coder to get involved.

That was why I personally appreciated the discussion here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, is there a thread somewhere for discussions on how CP could create more revenue generating streams, such as a donation page or a Kickstarter page, a jobs listing page, premium plugin offerings, and so on?

There can be, I will set up a category when I get home. I think that is a great idea!

Unfortunately, Envato doesn’t require “Authors” to support their products. Don’t know how that could be improved upon. But I do agree with the idea of a full service platform for supporting plugins and themes if CP is up to it.

I think it would be received well. Encourage devs to participate. I would like that, for sure. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let’s use the marketing forum for that discussion, I think it probably fits best there :slight_smile:

I have updated the description for that forum so it is more clear as well.

Thanks! Feel free to give me all the credit (just kidding, sort of), and please let me know when that is up. I’d like to see what’s there.

My suggestion wasn’t to force it, if you select the 5 stars the idea was to show another donate field with a dropdown that by default could say don’t donate.

The normal donate button in the WordPress plugin page just don’t works, it’s rare to someone donate using that. I’m talking from my experience but you can easily conclude that if you check the most famous Free plugins donate links(most of them go to their own websites).

1 Like

I understand what you’re saying, Rui. I don’t think it’s actually the placement of the buttons that causes them to not-perform. I think it’s simply that few (if any) people ever donate. This is why I’m against sliding it into the review process - if feels like cruft. A donation button/option (IMHO) gives people the feeling that other people are probably doing it, so my few bucks won’t be missed – which leads to nobody donating. In the 15+ years I’ve been involved in open source, I’ve only donated twice even though I probably run across 20+ donation buttons in a day. I think people have developed “banner blindness” to donation buttons.

1 Like

I agree with you. While I was writting the previous reply I was thinking that the donation isn’t what will save the day for a plugin author.

A message from the plugin team for ALL IN ONE SECURITY plugin regarding support for CLASSICPRESS

Oh okay. Sorry, I misunderstood your original question. Yes, we intend
to keep it compatible with that.

Kind Regards,
~Ivy

2 Likes

So…Dick…Ivy (whoever that is) is saying that the plugin All In One Security is going to be compatible with ClassicPress? Never heard of it, but it’s good to have a new plugin!

I think the time title is preceded by WP. I’ve used it for over 2 years

I totally agree with your statement about banner blindness!

Looks like somebody took my advice to put up a donation page…just got an email that the donation page is live.

2 Likes

I just received a reply from Elliot, the author of ACF after I emailed them to ask for compatibility with ClassicPress and this is his reply:

Yes, we will remain compatible with classic press.

6 Likes