ClassicPress SEO experimental plugin now available for testing & feedback

Excellent! :+1: Thanks Simone.

2 Likes

Referring to a slack post by @timkaye. Might be worth considering

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that @klein. That’s useful to see. But, alas, I still have questions. :confused:

It’s still not entirely clear to me when ClassicPress and CP can be used in the name of a plugin or theme. In other words, how does a plugin or theme become “part of ClassicPress” or “endorsed by ClassicPress”? Is that ever likely to happen?

If the plugin begins its life as a ClassicPress research plugin and then gets accepted by the CP community, what does that actually mean in terms of its “relationship” with ClassicPress?

And, while the CP community may want to adhere to any naming guidelines, as I see it, there’s nothing to prevent non-community members from using whatever name they choose.

For example, if I were to name the SEO plugin “Super Awesome SEO”, what’s to stop someone not involved in the community from then creating a “ClassicPress SEO” plugin and making it available via Github or any number of other 3rd party outlets?

Ultimately, I’m not actually that bothered what the SEO plugin is eventually called but I don’t think it would hurt to have some formal guidelines in place.

EDIT: New topic created in #plugins:plugin-directory as per @klein’s suggestion.

3 Likes

It might be a worthwhile idea to open a topic in #plugins:plugin-directory or #team-discussions:marketing-forum to ask about guidelines and how we should go about them. This is something people are going to keep encountering I think.

2 Likes

Just to expand on my original post, there is one key question that needs to be asked, which is:

Would you be prepared to drop Rank Math / Yoast / Whatever and adopt “ClassicPress SEO” (working title!) as your go-to SEO plugin for ClassicPress?

If not, what would it take for you to make the switch?

Thank you!

1 Like

That’s a good idea. I shall do just that.

Done.

1 Like

If it will be based on RankMath, I definitely will. What about migratiom from RM to your plugin?

1 Like

As much as I want to, I’m not prepared to give up my current SEO plugin. SEO is a special beast that requires exceptional care. For example, let’s say I install a gallery plugin and, after a few months, I realize it’s not quite working how I expected. At that point I can swap out the plugin for one that does do what I need it to … and no harm done. If I make this same mistake with SEO, sure, I can switch the plugin, but, it would likely take months to undo the “damage”.

For me, it’s going to take a bit of development longevity and a handful of social proof before I can switch such critical functionality to a new plugin. That said, SEO is one of those plugins that I (as a plugin developer who tends to write most of his own functionality,) am willing to pay a premium for if it contains the tools I need.

3 Likes

@LinasSimonis The plugin is a fork of RM and I have created an import feature for existing RM installations. It’s also possible to import some Yoast settings. One thing to bear in mind though is that the plugin currently doesn’t have all of the features of RM.

As always, take a database backup before testing this, even in a non-production environment.

Completely understand and I appreciate your honesty. More testing, more feedback and some proof of results and dependability are definitely required.

On that note, would you perhaps still be able to test the plugin, maybe on a clone of a live site? I’d very much welcome any feedback.

Out of interest, what is your current SEO plugin?

That is certainly a possibility for further down the road.

1 Like

Absolutely. I’ve added it to my todo list and shared it here to get some extra eyes on it in the meantime. :slight_smile:

I’m using Yoast.

2 Likes

We need a betting pool on how long before Yoast is unusable on ClassicPress. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

I think it already is unusable… I’ve had to make some adjustments to the code. :wink:

1 Like

Brilliant. Thanks John!

1 Like

I’m using Yoast on a few sites but I haven’t upgraded for the last few releases. Wonder what Joost would have to say about that then? :grinning:

And you think you will get that with Yoast? :wink:

2 Likes

Yoast has been around for a decade… so, it already has this longevity under its belt. I’m not upgrading to their latest Guten-versions.

Yes, fair enough. I was meaning looking ahead, not going back. But I can see that when it does come time to change, you would want to be moving to something rock solid and proven. If you are not upgrading then that should be good for a while. (Which reminds me of another question, but I will start a new topic).

1 Like

I would be interested in swapping in the near future when the testing phase is complete. I currently use RankMath, so as I long as I can import current settings would swap, once I know it won’t break anything (I only have a live site so don’t want to test it on that at present)

Will follow the development though, and will swap once I know that things should still work the same.

3 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Classic SEO Features