ClassicPress SEO experimental plugin now available for testing & feedback

So I have uploaded the zip to my site. I presume that I deactivate RM then activate Classic SEO, and will this keep my existing settings ?

Please take a backup of your site’s database before doing anything. I don’t recommend using this on a live site just yet.

While you import the settings, you can leave RM activated and then activate Classic SEO. You’ll see a warning message about having more than one SEO plugin activated which you can ignore for now. Import settings from RM then deactivate RM. If you wanted to switch back to RM afterwards, your RM settings should still be in place.

Let me know how it goes.

1 Like

Just to give a short update and feedback, I have now installed Classic SEO as a replacement of RM on my live site.

At the moment, everything seems to be working as it should. No errors and visitor numbers are still consistent, so I presume that it is working as it should.

3 Likes

That’s great news and thanks for reporting back. Keep an eye on your Google rankings over the next few weeks but I really can’t see any reason why that should change.

3 Likes

About editors… any text editor that works over SFTP could do the job. And is also misleading because I’ve seen many sites having a .htacces with nginx :sweat_smile:
Simone.

New minor release of ClassicPress SEO issued today (October 31). This is mostly a CSS fix for the problem with icons not displaying correctly on the tab bar in the post edit page.

Thanks to @Simone for reporting this.

There is also a fix for the missing “Include Featured Images” option in Sitemaps.

The plugin is still called “ClassicPress SEO” for now. It will be renamed “Classic SEO” in a future release.

3 Likes

Will this update automatically, or should I say be informed of an update, or do I need to do it manually ?

5 posts were split to a new topic: Classic SEO - repositioning the metabox on post edit page

Interesting… I had no idea slashes could be used in a hook.

Ordinarily, you won’t be informed that an update is available on the plugins page.

However, if you install the Github Updater plugin, then you will get notifications and will be able to update from the plugins page as normal.

2 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Using the fx-updater plugin to handle plugin updates

Yoast SEO has dropped compatibility with WordPress < 5.2.

With yesterday’s release of WordPress 5.3, we will return to our initial position of only supporting the latest two versions of WordPress. In this case, that’s WordPress 5.2 and WordPress 5.3, and not versions before that.^1

Simone.

3 Likes

Looks like we are just in time with Classic SEO and Classic Commerce.

The push is on to get WP users to upgrade. :person_climbing:

7 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Classic SEO v0.3.0 released

On v 0.3.1, seeing this warning in PHP Error Log Viewer:
PHP Warning: call_user_func_array() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, function 'on_login' not found or invalid function name in /xxxx/public/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo-master/classicpress-seo.php on line 147

2 Likes

Thanks @raygulick. I’ll issue a fix for that shortly but it’s safe to ignore it for now. It’s related to preparations for adding support for Google Search Console which should be available in v0.4.0.

Thanks for reporting it!

3 Likes

Version 0.3.2 has now been released fixing the PHP error. Let me know if there are any further problems.

Thanks.

3 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: ClassicPress SEO - issue editing snippet/title

Closing this thread as it is starting to get quite long.

@1stepforward for future releases can you create distinct threads with the #classicpress-seo tag. For support it is probably best to also create a new thread with the #classicpress-seo and Support tags, but we can split those off as need be.

2 Likes