Coding a WP plugin in CP... for newbies

Hello, I ve asked a freelance coder to do a plugin for me. Since it worked very well i released on wp, too.
I think i ll need some extra fuction in the future so i ll ask to update the code. at the moment it does work on CP but i wanna be sure it s going to work also in the future.
For a non coder guy like me, who can summarise when the fork is going to be hard enough to worry about that? what should i tell a coder if i want both WP and CP version ?
At the moment of the hardfork, given 100 the price for the plugin what is the extra cost for CP version?

Sorry for the low quality question but i m trying to figure out what to ask

2 Likes

When ClassicPress 2.0.0 comes out, that’s when you may have to think about creating dual versions (or start adding code-bloat to support both systems under one plugin). I’m not sure what the release date for 2.0.0 is, but, there’s no requirement to upgrade from 1.x to 2.0 when it comes out. You can stay on that version if you choose.

What should you tell your coder? If you want your plugin compatible with both platforms, tell him to make sure it’s compatible with WordPress 4.9.x and contains no Gutenberg-related (or block-related) code. …and to be sure it’s not throwing any warnings/errors/notices on PHP 7 with debug mode enabled.

What is the extra cost? As with most variable-priced products/services, this depends on your negotiation skills and the developer’s need for the work. At this point, its not worth creating 2 versions unless you are absolutely wanting to spend the money.

7 Likes

Thanks man!
perfect!

3 Likes

I can’t speak for all future versions, because it depends on what changes go into them. However for ClassicPress v2.x this shouldn’t be necessary.

So far, the only known way that something might break when we move to version 2 is if a plugin or theme requires some part of ClassicPress that we’ve moved out into a core plugin, but we don’t know about that dependency and that plugin gets disabled or removed. This could lead to plugins trying to call functions that don’t exist or don’t do anything any more, for example.

In practice that could mean some plugins will need to add a line like
“Depends on: ClassicPress/core-xmlrpc”
to their docblock in order to continue working with ClassicPress v2. I think we’ll also be able to fill in these dependencies ourselves for at least the more popular plugins.

4 Likes