Committee vote: Increase 2020 committee from 9 members to 10

The idea of preventing stalemates was certainly not the basis on which the committee agreed to adopt that number. It might have been the motivation for some people — I can’t say what people were thinking — but that was not the stated reason. That was simply that the current number of 12 had seemed too large to some, and so a smaller number was proposed. That’s all.

As has already been pointed out, having 9 on the committee doesn’t prevent stalemates anyway, because it’s unlikely that every member will attend every meeting, and someone might abstain anyway.

More importantly, if we end up with votes being decided by a margin of one, we have a bigger problem anyway. We should be looking for consensus, not small majorities. On that basis, the precise number of members is really irrelevant; it’s all about whether it works at the time.

And talk of precedent is certainly premature; we are still finding our way! We can think in terms of precedent when we have been around for a few years.

So I can’t think of any good reason for excluding one of the candidates now.

2 Likes

Apparently, I’ve been mistaken about the process.

2 Likes

From the blog post we have been sharing everywhere:

The new committee will have 9 members.

I think everyone in the community was working under this assumption.

1 Like

Here is my suggestion, I think @LinasSimonis was suggesting something similar.

We scrap this poll above, and reopen a poll for all TL2+ users to vote on the number of committee members. If the community votes in favour of 10, we move forward with the current 10. If it votes in favour of 9, we hold the elections as we had planned.

Cuts the need to argue about the merits of having 10 vs 9.

Then going forward, we don’t wait until we get the nominations in to decide the number of committee members. We set the number ahead of time so everyone can work under 1 “truth”.

3 Likes

I closed this poll. Good luck.

2 Likes

New Poll for TL2+ Users

If when you that link you can see the poll, that means you have a Trust Level of 2 or above and are welcome to vote.

2 Likes