Core plugins discussion

The whole commenting system might move to a core plugin in the future, if I remember those discussions correctly.

I don’t think we can assume anything will make it into a core plugin. We’ve had a lot of suggestions for core plugins, but, as far as I know, there hasn’t been a single one created as of yet.

1 Like

@MattyRob has created several core plugins, but we haven’t yet worked out how/when to have them load. I think the current thinking is that they should load before mu-plugins.

1 Like

Of this I was not aware. Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

I did this quite a few months ago now and pulled 5 core elements into plugins, code may well now need a refresh but the branch of the code is still available for review, criticism and debate.

3 Likes

Apparently, I had tunnel vision for 3 years. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, @MattyRob for sharing your work with us, great to see progress made on the core plugins. I’ve split this discussion away from the commenting petition. Some core plugins are slated for version 2, so we probably should start a discussion about them and test what’s been done so far.

Can you briefly tell us what approach you took to load core plugins?

1 Like

This hasn’t been determined yet either. I suspect that we will end up launching the directory in v2 and core plugins in later major versions. Or, since there are other projects ongoing that may be ready before the directory integration (TinyMCE and jQuery upgrades), v2 could even just include one or both of those.

1 Like

All of the functionality I pulled out was loaded using core hooks already so I simply used those hooks in a main plugin file so everything gets loaded on or around the plugins_loaded hook.

5 Likes

Thanks, @MattyRob! Great work.

I see in the repo we have the following core plugins (for anyone interested):

• Customizer
  • XML-RPC
  • REST API
  • Emoji
  • Embed API

@james what would be the next logical step to try to push this forward?

4 Likes

I was thinking a bit more about core plugins. Am I correct to assume that before core plugins can be implemented we would need some sort of plugin dependency management system?

If we remove Customizer and a theme needs it, there needs to be a way for the theme to install Customizer plugin.

We had some work done on this in 2019 researching plugin dependencies, but nothing has happened since.

1 Like

I just followed your links from the other thread @viktor and have been reading the discussions. This is an interesting point about comments and core plugins…

Also keep in mind that the commenting system is used for example for WooCommerce product reviews.

So I think this would certainly need consideration…

1 Like

Track progress on core plugins here: