cPanel moves from flat to account based pricing

As a DreamHost user, I’m all like, “What’s all the fuss?” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well … cPanel is actually quite decent, compared with Plesk / Confixx. Its a shame its been destroyed like this.

cu, w0lf.

2 Likes

For a shared account it won’t matter much, the prince increase to the host will be around USD 10-15c per month. But for Reseller hosting this will sink hosts left right and centre. Unmanaged VPS and dedicated servers with WHM/cPanel will also become debt traps.

DirectAdmin and InterWorx will be the big winners from this. DirectAdmin has already started preparing for their cPanel refugees, not sure about IW but I’d expect both of them to the thrilled.

1 Like

My host has already suspended new reseller accounts. They are also saying there will be a minor price increase for existing customers.

But more importantly, they will be limiting the number of cPanel accounts you can host, and applying it retrospectively.

Hostmantis have already dropped their reseller accounts from 50 down to 10 meaning a 500% increase in fees for existing customers.

1 Like

I just went to order a new reseller account from a company I have been talking to for 3 days and the price had changed from $6.30/m to $16.20/m in the last 2 hours.

This is certainly not something hosting companies are prepared to absorb. It is going to make creating new sites a lot more expensive.

1 Like

I confirmed with Liquid Web there will be no change to the pricing structure. I’ve used them since 2008 and yes they are pricey but you get what you pay for with hosting and I’ve never had a problem with them.

I’ve got 8 or 9 VPS accounts there for myself and clients.

Looks to me like this was a targeted increase towards those companies that offer the really cheap hosting and unlimited reseller plans.

Hostmantis acted way too soon. They should have (my opinion) thought about moving to a new control panel instead of raising costs for all existing accounts. It’s difficult to see how they can possibly serve their existing customers on cPanel, particularly as they offer up to triennial billing cycles, meaning that some customers will have up to two years or more pre-paid by the time they get hit by the cPanel change. IMO the only way to keep those customers without going into massive debt is to migrate them to another control panel - even if it’s Plesk (yes Plesk and cPanel are both owned by Oakley Capital, but there’s no reason it can’t be used short-term to mitigate damages). With that said it’s not their fault, they panicked and have tried to act quickly in response to give their customers as much notice as possible … however as I’ve mentioned on WHT I think the better response is to send out notifications this week to customers, and to start planning, but not to act yet.

A lot of hosts are already writing off the option of using Plesk, I think that’s a mistake especially for resellers, probably the best possible solution is to offer reseller customers the choice of Plesk, DirectAdmin, or InterWorx in the short term. Rack911 are doing a security audit of the other panels currently available (CyberPanel, VestaCP, CentOS Web Panel, APNSCP, WiseCP, User/Webmin, ISPConfig, and ClusterCS) which will be done over the next four weeks with the results published for everyone’s consideration. Their present advice is that DirectAdmin and InterWorx are both at a security level similar to Plesk and cPanel and so are safe to use (or at least as safe as Plesk and cPanel, nothing is 100% safe ever).

This security audit is actually great news for everyone thinking of managing their own VPS or for those who already do their own LAMP stack as it will provide very valuable advise as to which of the low-cost and free panels are safest.

2 Likes

Thank you for pointing out the audit being run. Interested to see the outcome :slight_smile:

This says it all :rofl:

cPanel Cares

6 Likes

It looks like Siteground will be moving to ditch cPanel and move to their own product. This was posted on webhostingtalk…

Hristo from SiteGround here. … Our control panel is named Site Tools and doesn’t have an official public name yet which has probably caused the current misunderstanding.

We are coming ot shortly with a statement regarding the new control panel and the fact that we plan on not using cPanel. We decided to work in our own control panel because we believe cPanel is limiting our plans for growth in terms of tools and features. We are confident that our clients won’t miss any functility they are used to, but we’ll gain new valuable features.

1 Like

My current host stayed with cPanel, but has reduced the number allowed from unlimited to 10.

The new host I signed up with allowed 20, but has sent out an email saying they will be migrating all current accounts to DirectAdmin by the end of the month.

Krystal Hosting have said they’re going to write their own replacement https://krystal.co.uk/blog/post/cpanel-pricing-changes-every-cloud-has-a-silver-lining. I can’t see that happening really. cPanel has been developed over 20 years and to write a replacement is going to take more than a few months. It would be nice if all of the main hosting companies worked together - along with a few disgruntled ex-cPanel employees - to create something. Whatever happens, this has really screwed things up for lots of people and Oakley deserve to fail.

DreamHost has an easy-to-use panel. It has been developed over the course of 20 years. Just sayin’.

The issue is security. Control panels have unfettered back-end access. Take note-

Patrick (RACK911) 10 Jul 2019

If anyone is considering CyberPanel, I would highly recommend not using it until further notice…

Patrick (RACK911) 11 Jul 2019

Most of the SQL queries I saw were escaped / sanitized although admittedly it was a brief once over so there probably are some lingering injections… we sent them a blunt 60 page PDF report full of exploits. #shrugs

Quite worryingly, CyberPanel is developed by Litespeed

On the other hand, DirectAdmin (which Patrick has said repeatedly is as secure as cPanel on multiple occasions on WHT)-

DA_Mark 6 Jul 2019

As for security, I can confirm that we have hired Rack911 in the past for audits. A new one is to be conducted this coming week, actually. Credit goes to them though. They expressed concern about a new layer of security risks with the native cPanel importer feature, and we agreed it was a legitimate reason for a new audit.

So I do worry about hosts that use completely “custom” control panels and whether or not they’re properly audited. I’d be quite confident in guessing that in most cases they’re not.

1 Like

That’s fine if you want a US based server. Not so good if you don’t. My attempts at using a CDN with WP have never been what I’d call successful, usually causing CSS issues.

I am only interested in a reseller account too and don’t understand how that works with them.

Also, what happens if you want to leave DreamHost and migrate your sites over. Can they be imported by cPanel or DirectAdmin? Using FTP is a very slow and painful way of doing things.

I would think DreamHost would only suit a niche market. Too many unknowns for a non-geek like me.

Well that’s kinda my point. Control panels aren’t created in 6 months. And I don’t think custom control panels are the answer anyway. How many hosting companies across the world would end up reinventing the wheel? Needs a consolidated approach IMHO and lessons must be learned from this.

There’s always the option of staying with a cPanel host or switching to a host that uses it.

Point taken. Although…what happens when cPanel starts charging for the service? Oh wait, here we are. :wink:

That’s a double-edged sword. After all, cPanel’s consolidated approach has led to “pay up”.

Yes, exactly - here we are, and the trend seems to be hosting companies moving to DirectAdmin.

To enable people to shop around for the best deal at any time, there needs to be consistency in the management panel. It has mostly been cPanel up until now, but it looks like it will now be DirectAdmin.

Hosting companies that have in-house panels are not going to attract the average webmaster. I have nothing against DreamHost, I just feel they are not for everyone.

cPanel has shot itself in the foot and DirectAdmin is going to be the main beneficiary.

2 Likes

A long shot I know, but I’m meaning an open source solution developed and controlled by a consortium of hosting providers. This is instead of the current situation where the hosting providers - and practically every website owner on the planet - are being held to ransom by a bunch of tossers.

How long before DA goes the same way as cPanel & Plesk? Somebody “out there” will surely have their beady eyes on DA already - possibly even our great friends at Oa**ey (tossers). But in any event, I’m not sure that DA is up to the job. For starters, they’re going to have to grow very big, very quickly. And, if you’re feeling brave enough, have a read of this.

1 Like

Not at all my point. Patrick of RACK911 said (on WHT) that cPanel, Plesk, DirectAdmin, and InterWorx are all of a similar security level. We don’t know much about the security of other panels, especially whether or not they’ve been audited by an external company. Without that peace of mind, I personally wouldn’t trust a control panel that has unfettered access to the server.

1 Like