"customize" login page

“Just” is a very loaded word. There are plenty of plugins that offer this functionality for those who need it without bloating the sites of those who don’t. And there are plenty who don’t. Most businesses don’t have customers logging in via the default wp-login.php page.

2 Likes

Yep, I am only talking about the logo . Not trying to change the core or the world :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you use the filter I mentioned, there is no reason for regular customers ever to go near wp-login.php. Plugins like WooCommerce and EDD provide their own login functionality. As do many membership plugins. As for then having two pages to protect, it’s essentially the same code in each place, so it makes little difference.

Hi Timkaye, I just put that in the theme functions.php?

Oki got that, thanks - now I see where the url should have been forwarded to :slight_smile:

1 Like

I started this petition related to the “remember me” checkbox:

You can change the logo with CSS:

#login h1 a, .login h1 a {
    background-image: url(https://yoursite.com/path/to/logo/logo.png);
    height:65px;
    width:320px;
    background-size: 320px 65px;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    padding-bottom: 30px;
    }
4 Likes

You can change the “Remember Me” text with just a few lines of code.

add_filter('gettext', 'copo_remember_me_text', 10, 3);
function copo_remember_me_text($translated_text, $original_text, $domain) {
    if ($translated_text == 'Remember Me') {
        return 'Whatever text you want.';
    }
    return $translated_text;
}
1 Like

Sure, we can customize everything and anything but the question remains:

• who can and who will do this? and
  • why not have basic system messages to be correct out of the box?

In fact, those who are able to code what you suggest are those who already know the meaning of “remember me”…

• Same as always: developers primarily, I’d guess. On the other hand, this change isn’t some difficult thing – it’s almost a straight cut-n-paste into the functions.php file, which I feel confident is something most site owners can do.
  • Regarding being correct: Using your same logic, then we should also add more text to the login button (what are you logging into? what does login mean? How long will it last? Am I logging in via cookie or session?) What about log out? Or… what does dashboard mean? Or widgets? Or permalinks? My point is, there are many terms that aren’t necessarily explained-in-place because they have come to mean something in particular. Again, I think the solution here for those edge-cases where someone doesn’t understand what “Remember Me” means (or for site owners who just want to provide more information) a filter as shown above is a better path forward than forcing everyone else to filter it away for verbosity.
1 Like

Why not just grab the Site Logo and set that as the logo on the login screen.

That would be lightweight enough (no extra functionality), while also being beneficial for businesses (regardless of whether they have developers or not).

I wouldn’t do anything else on the login screen though, anything else can be done by developers or a plugin. I understand the point of view of site owners/businesses who don’t code but want that customization.

I agree with this.

3 Likes

This thread is a good example of why we have the petition process. Community feedback directly sets the direction for future releases of ClassicPress, but this only works when we can see new feature suggestions and the associated number of votes!

I can read this thread and understand that we have multiple users and site builders who want to be able to customize the login screen. However, in order to make it part of a future release, I need to be able to prioritize this new feature relative to other improvements. This means we need it ranked next to the other petitions.

Starting a petition “I want to be able to customize the login screen” would be fine. It’s not easy to turn a general petition like that into a concrete implementation, but it at least lets us know how many people want to do this.

Starting a more specific petition “I want to be able to set my own user-defined image on the login screen” would also be fine. It’d be easier to get this implemented since it’s concrete and specific.

We already have a specific petition about the remember me checkbox. If improving this checkbox is part of your ideal login screen experience, go to that petition and add your vote!

3 Likes

Yes. This should be more enough.

2 Likes

Nice idea… I like it!

1 Like

@rotello, @ozfiddler, and anyone else.

I started a petition here to set login page logo to be the Site Logo :slight_smile:

3 Likes

upvoted

1 Like

This is one of the reasons why these forums are so good. Several people get to chime in, some useful code gets offered, and the original idea gets refined to something that would offer benefits to some while causing no harm to others. Then the refined idea gets put forward on the petitioned site.

5 Likes

The logo link should then also point to the homepage I think

2 Likes

Love it - so simple

2 Likes

Thank you CP

2 Likes