GDPR concerns

Both if I have understood what the people at the privacy ward authority are discussing properly.

Thanks. This will be very helpful.

I’ve run cp net in the tool shared by @LinasSimonis and it’s only mentioning this:
Blacklight detected trackers on this page sending data to companies involved in online advertising. Blacklight detected a script belonging to the company Alphabet, Inc. .

But… afaik we don’t run ads

@wadestriebel - do you know what could be triggering an ad tracker warning in cp net?

Alphabet is Google. I suspect this being related to analytics?

I suspect Google Analytics or embed content from Google services.

1 Like

As far as I recall we removed everything and turned off tracking. Can we check the site repo and see if there is any references left?

Main website has a Google Tag Manager script installed. I don’t know what tags are there, though.

google-tag-manager.php - must use plugin used in the site.
https://github.com/ClassicPress/site-www/blob/741221293cf7e37589db14bed293da762d9f8648/wp-content/mu-plugins/google-tag-manager.php

This has to be disabled servers side if then it should be disabled
I am not opposed to GA on the main site - I was just wondering why it says ads when we run no ads at all anywhere.

We were not using this and it shouldn’t be there. I’ve removed it.

2 Likes

Looks good now, GTM script is gone.

I think we should have some sort of analytics, just so we know what’s going on on all CP properties. Either using something a bit more old school like AWStats, or hosting our own version of Plausible - which is a privacy-focused alternative to GA.

Plausible is a perfect product, except they use ClickHouse. Yandex lies behind ClickHouse, and Russian’s KGB lies behind Yandex. Obviously, this is a huge privacy (and, in some cases, a security) threat.

I always prefer Google over KGB.

Not having KGB, Google, FB, MS, and anything similar is even better.

Shynet and Offen can be the options, but we not tested them yet.

1 Like

IMO - we don’t need tracking. We know what is going on in all CP properties because we manage them.
I am not sure what information we would gain that we cannot see already with bare eyes, other than “at 3 AM a Vietnamese visitor looked for 12 seconds at the donation page and exited it for unknown reasons”

Tracking is another term to describe “send us your users data that we need to tailor our products better”. “us” here are the companies that offer these tracking systems. Be it google, KGB (lol) or Plausible does not matter. They all follow one goal and that goal, because it is free, is not to help us, but to keep us as their product. When its free, you are the product.

Anyway meanwhile tracking is pointless for most folks because if you use a modern browser or phone, most data is not shared anymore. It really just is a smokescreen. We don’t run PPC, we don’t run ads, we neither have time nor the knowledge nor the people to improve our sites’s UIs based on click behaviour or else. So, the only thing we can really gain is being a 100% genuine non-tracking web presence. That, nowadays, is probably the better and more effective publicity and user-generating feature than tracking ever was.

2 Likes

Hey, since we now do not have google anal(ytics) anymore, can we remove the stuff from PP here?

Cookie Duration Purpose
_ga 2 years Google Analytics – Used to distinguish users.
gat 1 minute Google Analytics – Used to throttle request rate.
_gid 24 hours Google Analytics – Used to distinguish users.
1 Like

Google is a funnel to the US intelligence organizations (parent company is literally named Alphabet, as in “alphabet agencies”).

Isn’t CP free?

2 Likes

:sunglasses:
Yeah… and I guess it’s an exception to the rule?
WP is also free. And definitely someone’s the product there :upside_down_face: (as in “sell hosting”)

Just curious but where did you find this connection between Google and the US intelligence organizations?

The entire internet is, afaik :sweat_smile:
Even the dark web.

Apocryphal.

Soooo you were making a joke?

Apocryphal(adjective) well known but probably untrue.

2 Likes