Help needed -- DEADLINE - MARCH 17: 2020 PressEdConf Conference

Some clients are conservative. They taught me to respect established workflows and the huge layer of UX accumulated over the years. Some things don’t depend on trends: trust, care, reliability, relationships. Sometimes the real progress is a return to classic values. ClassicPress implements this principle.

/* Wish I could use Russian to express this elegantly */

7 Likes

No need for Russian here… this is about as elegant as you can get:

4 Likes

I can understand the en word stability or reliability are not elegant as the Russian expression of the same concept. But you got your point across even using a limited language (no offense for en speaking people, Russian is a very profound and complex language on a philological level. And has a greater vocabulary for the nuances it allows to express. That is why every Russian literary masterpiece in it languages may seem plain/boring. I wonder how much we lose in not studying Russian at school)

2 Likes

I like both of the directions being discussed here. First, @1stepforward and @ozfiddler’s thoughts on contributions. I have also found great value in contributing to ClassicPress, mostly around learning how to organize a project of this size and helping others contribute successfully. It’s a work in progress but I know we will continue learning and growing together.

Second, @norske’s thoughts on reliability/stability. “Some things don’t depend on trends: trust, care, reliability, relationships.” This is what we’re going for, and we’re still in early stages with some challenges to work out around plugin compatibility etc., but to me this is why we chose “Predictable” as part of our tagline.

This is also tied up with our thoughts around governance and how to collect and act on user feedback. Due to this structure we never would have adopted something like Gutenberg as the default option, but I agree we need to look deeper than just being “anti-Gutenberg”. Possibly a more productive take on that situation: why was that able to happen at WordPress, and what are we doing differently?

Then ultimately all of that relates back to contributions: ClassicPress users have the opportunity to make ClassicPress what we want it to be.

5 Likes

I agree think that our messaging should include the ways in which we are taking action to ensure that we maintain an open, community-led project and that we don’t fall into some of the same issues that other CMS solutions have experienced… though personally, I think it’s better to generalize, rather than call WP out specifically. Anyone who knows what’s going on will know, anyway.

2 Likes