How many plugins are too many? The case for granular plugins

I do think size matters somewhere in terms of plugins. Take Caldera Forms, for example, last time I installed it (admittedly, quite some time ago by now,) it came with a bunch of needless weight, including the entire testing suite. I think it was near 15Mb. It would be good to know this ahead of time if I’m on a metered or slow connection.

5 Likes

Size definitely matters here! There’s an events plugin that’s bigger than WP core, and it really doesn’t do much. It’s highly rated, but heaven knows why.

I have been seeing many bloated plugins recently. I keep wondering what problems they are introducing.

4 Likes

I would like to see the size and the number of files.
Not because I think that a greater number of files makes it a bad plugin.
But because I would like to have an idea of the average size per file.
Of course, the “right” size is subjective and should never be legislated.
(Voluntary adoption wherever possible, not forced compliance.)
But in the initial screening phases, if I am comparing let’s say half a dozen to a dozen potential plugins, it helps to give you some idea of the author’s preferences.

But there is a different discussion that needs to be had too.
It has been mulling around in my head for a while and it becomes directly relevant to motivating plugin authors to create light-weight plugins.

I think the reason that many plugin authors create monsters has more to do with MARKETING bundling considerations than with PRODUCTION bundling considerations.

I think that when you offer light-weight plugins, it becomes easier for a user to use plugins from several different authors.
I would guess that light-weight plugins are also more likely to be pluggable themselves.
While these authors want to lock them in to their solution only.

So it becomes a question of how you can help create a collaborative environment amongst plugin authors.
This would be useful for other things as well.
For example, you could have a peer review system, where plugin authors check each other’s plugins for some obvious security issues.
But something like that can only work if authors are willing to collaborate.
Naturally, it won’t solve all problems, but it can potentially lead to significant reductions.

So, in the end, we need to ask ourselves how we can create an ecosystem that encourages team play, but with respect for each other’s competence and preferences.

3 Likes

I have been cleaning out an old site.
Dozens of plugins were larger than Jetpack, which, by any objective account, is a monster.

Most of the codes in those plugins aren’t functional either.
Most can be plug-and-play.
I blame excessive use of AJAX.

1 Like