How to deal with WP Drama on the forums

I have more of a problem with it being called “drama”. It’s just an expression of opinion. Nothing dramatic about it.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t even give it that much weight. :expressionless: To me it’s merely a link (pretending to
be a question).

3 Likes

Is it time for Samuel “Otto” Wood to leave WordPress?

People get really emotionally invested in this stuff!

I am aware that I don’t have a clear way to define this, but I think this sensationalist headline crosses the line into “drama”.

6 Likes

Hm. This:

doesn’t look like a goot start point for a meaningful discussion :slight_smile:
It’s a typical forced drama based on offencive emotional position.

P.S. This is not about WP/CP etc. Discussing individuals in that way is quite far from “friendly community” concept. This discredits any topic, no matter if it mentions WP or not.

6 Likes

I don’t disagree with you there, @norske. But I still have no idea why you or anyone else would want to dignify such comments with the label “drama”. That seems to me to be a gross over-reaction.

2 Likes

Ah, It’s just a kinda slang term. I use it in ironic sense. Meaning that something pretends to be an epic event but is insignificant by its nature. “Drama” is often forced and has arteficial roots (lack of attention, trolling, manipulating public opinion etc).

3 Likes

Exactly. As used in “drama queen”.

3 Likes

Great discussion! I do want to clarify something however. The reason I closed the previous thread was because of an early consensus that it didn’t belong here. I did not want to outright delete it, because it did have some merits. I made a linked topic because I thought there was an interesting discussion to be had on the subject of what to do with these type of posts as a whole, but I did not think we should do that on the post itself.

The reopening was done after internal discussion and was not at all a disagreement between moderators. Sorry if that was unclear. I closed the thread, after which a discussion was held on how to proceed, after which it was decided that we should reopen the thread. Every decision was based on “what is the best thing to do at this point”.

The ClassicPress community values all opinions, and I never want to shut down a discussion. I do not close a thread willy-nilly, I hope everyone can understand my reasoning in closing and our reasoning in reopening.

6 Likes

That’s perfectly understandable @klein. My first reaction was to flag it for possible deletion, because I thought it had no place here at all. It just had zero to do with ClassicPress.

I didn’t do that because, as explained above, I don’t feel we yet have any code in place to use as a guideline for moderation. It would have just been a judgment call on my part, and I would prefer to have some solid basis for that sort of action.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with everything you said.

I posted above a link to another forum I use that has clearly defined rules for thread deletion. I happen to think they work well.

Based on those rules, I can find three separate reasons that thread should be removed.

PS This is a forum that has:
843,563 registered members
11,884 visited in past 24 hrs
950 members online now
1,503 guests visiting now
2,522,686 threads
59,354,612 posts

4 Likes

Yes, I have read it. It’s strongly worded, true. But hardly dramatic. Just because he’s got himself worked up doesn’t mean everyone else has to be. This isn’t Twitter.

So, if it’s insignificant, why the fuss?

I believe there are things and situations that require some visible reaction. Because otherwise it might be interpreted in unwanted way. “Silent approval” etc. So I try to demonstrate my attitude sometimes just to set bounds or to make position clear. Thist doesn’t mean that current situation is critical or I take it close to heart.

P.S. I really like your calm and reasonable position. It is healthy. And I think the same way in general, but considering all above. Don’t know if it looks like fuss from your point — maybe :slight_smile: It’s ok.

1 Like

I think we are missing something.
Just put the situation in another context: you are at your home giving a party. Suddenly one of the guests starts telling everybody about the nasty behaviour of an absent person and not only that, he goes in detail by shaming, name-calling and breaking his privacy.
Just for the sake of venting. Just to solicit people to agree with him that so-and-so is so nasty.
Now, it’s not important if so-and-so really is nasty, I think the host has no right to justify such behaviour. The name-calling isn’t justified by nothing. One person doesn’t automatically gain the right to backbite “because he thinks this person is bad”!
If I were the host, I would calm people and remind that guest of his right to a respectful opinion. And remind everybody that IN MY HOME anything like backbiting, offending and the like is considered childish behaviour and not condoned. And then I as an host I would bring the convo from there to something constructive like “what can I do to avoid the things you consider nasty?”. Obviously this process (as I mentioned before) has to be managed in a way the bad-mouthed guest feels listened and engaged, for we respect everyone. But a certain level of what we allow and what not may be needed as we grow.

1 Like

And what if he then starts denigrating women? Then moves on to black people? Then starts telling us how great the Nazis were?

Surely Elisabetta, there must be some point where you would ask him to leave?

That’s what guidelines are for.

Point is, yes. I would throw him out at the second attempt of such behaviour, but BEFORE THIS I will make rules known so that when I throw him out I can say “your behaviour breaches my rules in my home, so I am throwing you out!” And nobody is then endorsed to question that. What I am trying to understand is why I feel people “fear” the necessity of rules and moreover why people want to avoid such restrictive measures IF APPLIED ONLY WHEN REALLY NEEDED. I know deciding when to enforce them means trusting mods. I know having such rules may give a mod the bad idea to use them for personal use.
But that way we as a community are saying “we don’t trust in our ability to build an healthy culture around rules nor we trust our ability to enforce equitable rules to ensure the interests of the community are secured, and lastly we don’t trust us to be able to educate our mods”.

1 Like

Well, I’m glad you have some limits to your niceness. :innocent:

I suspect I am a far less tolerant person than you. :grimacing:

1 Like

I am closing this thread, as I feel the other thread is more inline with determining best course of actions going forward and right now we are getting comments in both places :slight_smile:

Refer to this thread to continue this discussion: Retrospective for yesterday's post

1 Like