In need to migrate my website to another hosting company

+1 for All in One WP Migration — This has been a very useful plugin for me.

Many hosting companies will move a site for you or at least the control panel if both hosts are using the same one. i.e. if both hosts are using cPanel, give new host the old cPanel login and they can move the whole thing including email accounts. I would often migrate a clients website to our hosting.

1 Like

Moving to a new host, there are 2 things that might need changing.
One is the domain name. (stored in the options table, and referenced in the content)
The other is the database credentials. (stored in wp-config.php)
Plugins can help manage that for you, but you should understand what you are asking the plugin to do.

The trick with changing domain names is that the name can occur in options that are serialized, so it’s best that a plugin do the change for you. But! if the domain name isn’t changing, you still have a bit of a quandary when trying to run CP on the new host if the domain name hasn’t propagated yet, and on the old host if it has. This means running plugins on both, that talk to each other might not quite work.

The best bet is to have your account migrated by the new host, as it gets everything with no hassle to you.

I don’t have a cPanel and the hosting company above doesn’t offer to move the website for me. But if they did I assume that they would use a plugin too.

I have my own domain name and I don’t intent to change it. I just want to move my website as it is from the server that currently is to another one.

You can see my website here:

In any case the company that I’m considering to move in doesn’t offer website migration. But even if they did I wouldn’t trust anyone to have access on my account and my content.

The plugin option seems better to me.

I don’t understand why it will be so complicated to copy my website from the one server to the other and connect it with the domain name that is on an other than the hosting company.

Domain name, hosting company and email account are in different places. Is that what we could call decentralized website perhaps?

So to conclude.
Can you please tell me for one more time what it would be better to do?

1/Copy the website as it is with the help of a plugin and then connect it with the domain name.
2/Copy manually the back up to the new server and then configure manually the config files. ( I 'd rather not do it this way… I’ll mess the universe up and I know it in advance).

There is a plugin that is called Dublicator that backs up the whole website and the data base and then it uses a installer to install it to the new location?

Should I use this perhaps?

Could you suggest a trusted hosting company that offers packages for individual websites in affordable prices and give the option or moving the website too?

Someone that you have already tested preferably and you are satisfied by its service.

If you’re not familiar with FTP and moving files manually, don’t go that route. Instead, use a site mover plugin linked above or the Duplicator plugin you mentioned. Either way, you’re going to have to put in some of the work here and do some reading… the docs, at the very least, for whichever plugin you choose, to make sure you do it correctly.

See the hosting forum. Many of us have already taken the time to provide this information. Which one is recommended? All of them. Each of them has been recommended by a community member. Again, you’ll have to put in some work (reading) to decide which one to use. My guess is that you could pick any host near your location and be fine with it.

As an alternative, you might pay someone to do it for you. This is often the most time-saving option.

2 Likes

Your hosting company would have full access to your site and could change anything on your site, no wordpress login needed.

If using a plugin the steps to move would be.
On existing site/server
Clean up the site- delete unneeded revisions etc.
Install your duplicator/cloning/backup plugin
Run the plugin, saving the copied site to where you will have access to it.
Some plugins can use online storage, some will give you a file to down load.
On domain registrar
Enter details for new server/host
On new server
Once DNS change has propagated
Install wordpress/classicpress
Install your duplicator/cloning/backup plugin
upload the clone file (if you had to down load)
Run the plugin
The plugin should look after changes to database name in the config file

You should be keeping an up to date copy of your site somewhere already (other than on your server) in case the server goes away or you get infected as restoring from a back up is often quicker and easier than cleaning an infected site.

If you have a control panel it should have the options to zip up the site and download it and export the database.
Then on the new server you upload the zipped file and unzip.
Create a new empty database and assign a user.
Import the database you downloaded.
Then edit the config.php change the database name and password to match the one you created.
On domain registrar
Enter details for new server/host
Wait for DNS to propagate

You could always practice first. Install xampp on your computer and get your site to run locally. Then any mistakes you make to your local site won’t affect you online one.

2 Likes

Ok problem solved. The fellow member Aussie offered to me hosting and helped me to move my website to a new server. He is great because the whole thing was a bit more complicated than we expected as I was moving out from a custom dedicated server. But everything went fine and now my website is on a new server and on Classic Press of course!

Thank you all for your suggestions and your help! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.