Live chat plugin

Live chat plugin, chat room
Preferably it is individual for each post
And maybe it can be made for ClassicPress
Recommendation

2 Likes

Look in my Repo in GitHub: Piestingtal.Source, there you will find “PS Chat”. Its German, but you can ad your language Files.

Have you considered submitting the plugins of your repo to the ClassicPress directory? I think @wadestriebel is the best person to help you with that.

1 Like

I have a Developer Profile and any Plugins in the ClassicPress Repo, Sure. But its still “Not Published”. Maybe anyone of the Admin must publish me in there?

Plugin team will review and either approve them or request changes.

2 Likes

It would bei nice, If this information will be easy to find, its confusing to wait for Publishing a Plugin or Developer Profile without this information.

Directory is currently in beta, so everything is still being worked on and finalized. You can find information here:

And share your suggestions and feedback for the Directory in this forum:

1 Like

If the plugins aren’t maintained, they shouldn’t be added to the directory.

He mentioned in another thread that he is using CP since two years and developed these plugins himself, if I understood correctly.

He has a GitHub repo for them.

I have not really thought to check when last activity on the plugins was, but since he is sharing them I supposed he is going to maintain them.

He warns the plugins are localized in German and asks for help in localizing them, also.

1 Like

No, they are forks of WPMUDEV plugins that they stopped supporting a few years ago and open sourced it on GitHub.

Is bbPress a WPMUDEV plugin? That’s what the forum plugin is based on.

That’s right, it’s not just WPMUDEV, it’s everything that I use myself in everyday life with ClassicPress, but which is not being developed for CP, but for WP. Or tools that are no longer maintained by the original provider, or tools that I had to adapt specifically for use with the project to promote a German-friendly developer environment, etc. And there is also something of my own. In the official repo there is only a fraction of what has accumulated in practical work with CP.
And isn’t that exactly what OpenSource is for?

3 Likes

Look, my goal is not just to fork, my goal is to create alternatives for ClassicPress and more variety as an argument for this CMS. And to create a platform for this that carries the democratic idea of ​​ClassicPress as a community of a plugin collection, especially for ClassicPress. Therefore, I try to provide barrier-free access using this repo and with as much transparency and opportunities for participation as possible. And if you say a plugin has potential and you have a business plan for it, then I won’t stop you, but would be happy if I have helped someone earn an income with the development work for ClassicPress. Take a look at the evolution of WordPress, especially what made it so successful. That was a good, open open source community, which now swim in the pond of greedy sharks and can hardly keep themselves alive. More and more small developers simply go under or give up. ClassicPress is a platform that can now benefit from getting it right with the developer community.

4 Likes

Wishing you the best of luck @Dernerd!

2 Likes

Oh. Now I understand.
As such he has to maintain this huge repo of forks.

@Dernerd we do not discourage forks, in fact some great plugins are forks (Classic Commerce/woo, Classic SEO/Rankmath for example).
But we refrained from forking everything for valid reasons.

The goal of ClassicPress Is to have its own plugins, carefully developed specifically for it, not to maintain forks by backporting security fixes because that won’t work out well in ten years time.

The plugins that were forked, are now managed in a way that makes it possible for them to diverge from the original one and be their own plugins, and the code they were forked from was cleaned and went through a refactoring process to make it really compatible with ClassicPress by removing bloat and WordPress specific stuff.

I mentioned two successful examples, in ClassicPress directory however you can also find a definitely failed (for now) attempt at forking Elementor.

This was started with the best intentions as an experimental plugin, but stalled since it is an humongous endeavour to clean up, maintain and further develop such a plugin, even for a group of experienced devs willing to devote a lot of time and love to it.

Your repo is HUGE. The concerns people are voicing are not to say it is not a welcome effort, they are however saying that to maintain it all on your own is a VERY HUGE piece of work. It’s one man and a hundred plugins.

We had issues with some of our successful forks, just because the lead dev abandoned them and they had to be adopted by other people.
And we speak of single plugins managed by a group of contributors that started the fork.

That said, there certainly is nothing wrong in your approach, it is open source phylosophy to be able to fork things, but as other experienced devs are saying you could find yourself understanding that you aren’t able to keep up with everything a bit down the line.

On the WPMUDEV diatribe:

They had a simple strategy:

• they built TONS of small plugIns for two reasons - they wanted to monetize fast to gather resources and they wanted to gauge people interests by sellIng a varIety of things.
  • they spent more time on the best sellers and went ahead making a big fortune out of their big group of plugins, they also established and consolidated the brand.
  • they accumulated resources by selling all these plugins and at a certain point it was in their plan to abandon the majority of them to be able to use the resources on the profitable ones. They waited and at the right time for them they made that step.

They did not abandon “good plugins”. These plugins that were used to monetize and left behind were poorly coded and full of bloat from the start.
They were barely working and they were used for years to upsell their main plugins.

They were meant to be left behind from the very start.

Maintaining such a huge number of plugins is a big effort, even for a big company like WPMUDEV that has all the resources and expertise to do so. But they did so for a certain time to earn build the momentum.

That is why I encourage you to continue learning to code, and eventually build your own plugins. In the end it’s easier to maintain your own plugins, than a fork. And it is better in the long run.

Moreover, as far as I have understood WPMUDEV statement at the time, they made all these plugins free, and stated they will no longer maintain them. They basically said they weren’t able to continue maintaining them and they were offering people the chance to adopt them.

Maintaining is just supplying security fixes and bug patches.

And as far as I know, these plugins are still there with no real owner to do so, in the WP repo… Because even just one of them is a big job.

4 Likes

Thanks for your feedback

Of course I have been aware for years that many of the small WPMUDEV plugins do not have a particularly high coding standard and are rather bloated.
Example “Membership2”, if you load it from the WPMUDEV repo it first creates a white screen …
My version, on the other hand, works, does not annoy you with external dashboards, works with WP 5.0 and higher without “outdated code” messages, you should not install a dashboard and the debug log stays clean. It has integrated protection rules for other Piestingtal.Source plugins, etc.
I think that already shows that I am not only interested in forking these plugins, but also in giving them a new life and making them better with the power of the OpenSource community idea.
And then you show me a comparably powerful membership plugin on WordPress that does not cost any license fees with an equivalent scope. Or a plugin with which you can implement a complete blog hosting in multisite as easily and cheaply as with “bloghosting”, as I said, even if they are not perfect (as a beginner in development, I would say they were developed more by beginners like myself at the time , as the code looks), many of them have no alternative and I have been using them for ages in active projects and with customers and they can only be replaced with difficulty or with high license costs. In addition, there is often a question of data protection … and then there are tools like “eNewsletter” and “Chat” with no third-party APIs and services, but which provide all functions on their own host and so customer data never leaves your own infrastructure. It is the lack of alternatives to the increasingly commercialized WP repo that forces me to deal with these plugins. And ClassicPress can only benefit from it in the end, as a tool for developers and a flexible platform for governments, universities, schools, business, where no “theme clicker kiddies” are at work, but people who are not afraid to adapt code to their project and need full control over their structures.

Since I have to maintain it regularly for this reason anyway and thanks to ClassicPress and these plugins I have started to teach myself to code, I can also share it with the community so that it can also benefit and learn from all of you, I can certainly still do a lot when it comes to coding ClassicPress plugins.

8 Likes