Market Research Discussion

To me, this seems to suggest that an organic campaign on Twitter and possibly a paid campaign on Reddit would be the most effective options.

2 Likes

Here are a few ideas…

1. Why are you remaining with 4.9.x? (open-ended)

2. How many sites do you manage? (open-ended)

3. Most important aspect of the system? (order by importance or multi-checkbox)

1. Speed and performance
    2. Built-in SEO
    3. Social media integration
    4. Analytics
    5. Security
    6. Plugins/themes/3rd party offerings
    7. Simple content editing/publishing workflow
    8. Mobile support
    9. User management
    10. Commerce
    11. Easy Administration
    12. Community and support
  4. What type of site(s) do you manage? (multi-checkbox)

1. Brochure
    2. Educational
    3. Business presence
    4. Intranet
    5. Entertainment
    6. Portfolio
    7. Media
    8. Nonprofit
    9. Ecommerce
  5. What do you love about your current system? (open-ended)

6. What would you improve about your current system? (open-ended)

4 Likes

Thanks for your response! I’ll be interested to hear what others have to say as well.

These questions appear to be skewed toward developers and/or site managers that are on 4.9.x. How can we take a step back and widen our net to hear from anyone who is interested enough to answer our survey (and yet still keep the answers meaningful)?

I suggest we add a few qualifiers to this that will help direct the stream of questions. If we choose to use a paid survey, we’ll be able to use conditional logic, so the first few questions could read something like:

• What is your profession/association to WP? (list several categories)
  • What version of WP do you use most often? (list a range, rather than )
  • Do you use the block editor? (y/n)

From there, we can split people off depending on:

• their profession and/or
  • their version of WP and/or
  • their thoughts on the block editor

Once we split them off, we can ask more specific and meaningful questions.

As an example, if someone identifies as a site manager, then we can ask questions about how many sites they manage and what types – though I think “site manager” has a number of different definitions, so I also suggest we explain what we mean by that, to get a better grip on their perspective. Answers will be more meaningful if we talk to people who have some measure of control over what version of WP they’re using; site managers may or may not have that control.

As someone who has had to read through all the surveys and quantify the results, I’ve found it’s much easier to do that with multiple choice answers/checkboxes than to read through each answer manually and try to categorize the answer in a meaningful way. With that in mind, we may want to consider the value in reframing our questions to allow for those kinds of answers, while taking care to minimize the inherent bias that comes with only offering x number of answers.

If we want a meaningful number of responses, we want to keep this simple and easy to zip through without making people have to think too much about it. Personally, I prefer surveys where I can check a box vs. having to type my answer – too much typing and I skip or click away from the survey altogether, because although I might be interested enough to help out, I don’t have time or inclination to spend a lot of time crafting an answer. Of course, I may be in the minority (or just busy, or lazy) but it’s worth thinking about.

Thoughts? Feedback?

4 Likes

I think this is exactly our target audience for this push. It fits well with the “ClassicPress is for [site] creators” tagline, and these are the people that would actually be doing the migration.

I think this is more complicated than necessary.

Agree - we can have some predefined choices and an “other comments” box to collect free-form text.

4 Likes

I guess I’m misunderstanding here – I thought @anon71687268 asked for a market research survey so that we could figure out who our target audience is… if that’s not the case, then I agree with you that using conditional logic is more complicated than we need.

4 Likes

Some very quick thoughts:

1. Why are you remaining with 4.9.x?

1. Don’t know
  2. I’m not aware of which version I use
  3. Don’t want to use Gutenberg
  4. A key plugin I need is only compatible with 4.9 and below
  5. My theme is only compatible with 4.9 and below
  6. I want to move to a new platform but there is no alternative
  7. I want to move to a new platform but the thought scares me
  8. I am currently in the process of moving to a different platform

2. How many sites do you manage?

1. 1
  2. 2 - 5
  3. 6 - 10
  4. 11 - 20
  5. 21 - 30
  6. 31+

5. What do you love about your current system?

1. Nothing in particular
  2. It’s what I’m familiar with
  3. Simple. Does everything I need.
  4. Lots of plugins and themes
  5. Easy to install

6. What would you improve about your current system?

1. Get rid of Gutenberg
  2. Better community
  3. Less bloat
  4. More say in its development
  5. More opportunities to develop plugins and/or themes
  6. An opportunity to contribute to core development
2 Likes

If the survey is targeted towards only 4.9 users then I think we can drop this choice: 4.9 sites won’t have Gutenberg.

If the survey is targeted towards multiple versions then we’ll probably want to add a question to that effect.

2 Likes

Contact him!

From Aussie:

I can confirm his attitude, based on things I’ve seen from him on Twitter. I don’t think contacting him would be advantageous to our project.

4 Likes