Migrating from WooCommerce to Classic Commerce

I think that gets there. It’s classic-commerce in the CP slack account.

From what we’ve seen so far, this is correct.

It looks to me like any real problems would most likely come into play only if you migrate Woo → CC then upgrade back to latest Woo. However in the interest of full disclosure this process does need more testing.

Slack (also linked to from the bottom of this page, or on our main site)

Please be sure to use that link when inviting people to Slack, since that’s pretty much the only way to guarantee that users who don’t yet have an account will be able to create one.

1 Like

@james and @ozfiddler This is an important discussion on ClassicCommerce. Let’s split this into another topic from:
https://forums.classicpress.net/t/looking-to-make-the-switch/2438/10?u=web242

I’m not a developer, but we have quite a few clients using WooCommerce now, and I feel every-time we update we are going down the path of no return.

I hope you can keep the migration from WC to CC for some time, but I also worry once it goes into “block-mode” it’s game over. I don’t think I will ever roll-back.

Yes, I know what you mean. I have the same feeling with my two remaining Woo sites. I was relieved to find that the database changes wouldn’t affect my sites, but this is something you need to assess for yourself. Creating new tables wasn’t really a concern, but when they start modifying existing tables it could start to impact us.

I hope so too. We’ll certainly be working on this.

What are their situations regarding plugin and extension usage? This will obviously be the main area to watch. It will be the same story as CP… as long as plugins work with WC version 3.5.3, they should work with CC. But I would be avoiding any official WooCommerce products. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well therein lays the problem. My clients and I are using official WC plugins. For them they will have to stay with WP and WC, I dont see any other choice. Unless they reach the point of frustration with it all.

But to answer your question, WooCommerce Subscriptions is the most important one, and with Stripe gateway. If CC could have subscriptions option, even rudimentary, that would be very good.

The way I see it, if I build a CP and CC site from the start, it’s a non-issue.

I think it wont be long before WC and WP become divergent from, CC and CP. I dont think you have to sweat supporting WC plugins - that is too much to ask.

What you have done, is given CP users a solid eCommerce option with CC.

2 Likes

Scrap that… seems like the plugin I was going to recommend has moved to WP5+

2 Likes

It means, that

1. You should ask plugin developers to support CP.

2. If rejected - fork the plugin or put it on the “WP plugins should be ported to CP” list and wait, until someone wants to take care of it.

Oh, wait. We don’t have a “WP plugins should be ported to CP” list? A major lapse. It raises the question of where and how it should be created and how promoted to the potential plugin developers.

1 Like

Business opportunity here: an agency with specific experience in WP → CP migrations. Sounds like a good one :wink:

1 Like

@james I like that idea!

1 Like

Hi Y’all!

Great Project! Thank you for your efforts…

I tried with use-wp-language-plugin and searched but didn’t find a way to get CC running with german language formal. Did I miss something?

I really would love to switch from WP/WC to CP/CC and get away from the growing annoyance but don’t be able to run the shop in german would be a showstopper :frowning:

Any help very appreciated…

2 Likes

Hi Jaa. Welcome and thanks for your interest in Classic Commerce!

I don’t know much about working with other languages, but have just been playing around with it. I found that if I took the WooCommerce language files (.po and .mo) that were in my wp-content > plugins > languages folder and simply renamed them, it worked (once I had selected Deutsch as the language in the main WP settings page).

If you don’t have the Woo files you can download them here (I have already renamed them):

https://simplycomputing.work/classic-commerce-de_DE.mo
https://simplycomputing.work/classic-commerce-de_DE.po

Can you try putting those into your wp-content > plugins > languages folder and let us know how it goes? You may need to deactivate and reactivate CC.

4 Likes

Hey Alan!

Thank you so much!!! That helped a lot and was the point in the right direction. Normal german is running, now I will test it with the formal version…

Awesome :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I moved a site running WooCommerce 4.4.1 and Wordpress 5.5.1 over to Classic Commerce and CP about a week ago.

Orders are going through fine and I can’t see any problems. So, it looks like the database changes introduced in WC4 have no adverse effect on CC.

6 Likes