Missing languages in general settings

I just installed ClassicPress on a (virtual) server but only have one language choice (English US) in Admin / Settings / General Settings > Site Language.
How can I get more options? (preferably Dutch / Nederlands)

Possibility

It might be related tot the server settings, but in that case it would be good to know that this can’t be related to ClassicPress.

Details

I’m running this LAMP configuration on VirtualBox 6.1:

• ClassicPress 1.3.1
  • PHP 7.4.3
  • Ubuntu server 20.04
  • Apache 2.4.41
  • Mysql 10.3.32-MariaDB

(I installed it by simply using wget https://www.classicpress.net/latest.zip, unzipped it and changed directory and fie acces.)

Context

I couldn’t find the same question by searching and also I may be a bit rusty, since I didn’t do anything with webdevelopment, ClassicPress or WP since 2018 :wink:
Just started up again.

This is most likely some sort of permission issue. CP doesn’t have permission to write to the server, so it can’t download and create language files. Make sure your wp-content directory is writable by the web server user.

You can also try adding this to your wp-config.php file, it might help:

define('FS_METHOD', 'direct');

If you’re still having issues, you can temporarily change wp-content directory permissions to 777. See if that helps. Make sure to change permissions back to 755 or whatever you need.

For reference, this is what the languages dropdown looks like on my CP site:

1 Like

Thanks Viktor, it worked!
The ownership of the HTML root was set to root:www-data.
I “chown-ed” it to www-data:www-data and it works like a charm :slight_smile:
(I already changed permissions for files and directories but that didn’t work. This did!)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.