New Plugin Subcategories?

Agree :100:

Asking people to raise an issue on github for a problem will eliminate 90% of your input.

1 Like

Itā€™s cool that you donā€™t mind ā€¦ it just sets a precedent that I would avoid.

I also mentioned social media. Indeed, Iā€™m not a fan of sending users to GitHub. However, having an account to raise an issue is not much of a hurdle.

I see your pointā€¦just feel that encouraging support, release notes, feature requests, bug reports on the forum is not the answer.

1 Like

I think the reality is that this will happen in multiple places. So it may be necessary to monitor them all, and make announcements on them all. You may find you need to cater to different peopleā€™s ā€œcomfort zonesā€ā€¦ for some Github is their second home (definitely not me); some live on social media (not me); I personally use forums a lot, and look in on Slack occasionally (but often miss stuff there as it moves too fast).

If you really want a centralised point then a specific website for the plugin may be the best option, or one for all your plugins (like @anon71687268).

1 Like

This is something we discussed earlier this year in the context of the plugin directory - weā€™ll need some sort of support forums for plugins, and it seems that this is pretty much the same thing.

Alas, we never decided how to do it, so perhaps this is a good time to revisit that discussion.

3 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m talking about. And instead of sending people to different websites all over the place (including the forums, slack, github), I definitely think it would be better to have one place where they can go.

My day job means that I donā€™t have the time to monitor all these different places which is why I choose to visit Slack only on the odd occasion. And to my mind, therein lies a different but related issue - the fact that all these different discussions are happening in different places.

But back to my original point, anything that makes life easier for the ClassicPress user has got to be a priority imho - as long as it doesnā€™t create problems for developers of course. Likewise, anything that keeps people here on ClassicPress instead of driving them away elsewhere has also got to be good. And remember, Iā€™m only talking about ā€œcommunity pluginsā€ here.

And just one small observation. Classic Commerce already has two forums - one under General Discussion and one under Support so there already seems to be a precedent. But I donā€™t see worms crawling all over the place. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

:grin:

Yes, that was an early, messy development and led to a good discussion that clarified things I think. Starting here: ClassicCommerce or Classic Commerce? Status as a research plugin? - #9 by anon71687268

We will be putting the lid back on that can at some stage and I hope not too many worms get out. :snake:

But I agree that it would be ideal to have one central place where you can search for plugins, download them and get support.

3 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Mark a post as unread

To be fair, I forgot that Classic Commerce had a support category (#support:classic-commerce) and a general category (#general-discussion:classiccommerce) so we have kind of already opened that can of worms.

Anyways, maybe a ā€œplugin supportā€ and ā€œgeneral pluginā€ category with tags enforced would be the best solution here.

1 Like

Whoops didnā€™t see this.

2 Likes

Maybe just make Plugin Support a subcategory of Plugins?

I think having it under the ā€œSupportā€ category makes sense, since I think that is were people would go first?

But that implies that it is ā€œofficialā€ classipress support. I think it makes sense that if people have a problem with a plugin they go to the plugin forums.

2 Likes

True, you have convinced me :slight_smile: I will set that up now.

What are your thoughts on the general category for plugins? Or, does that confuse things?

If we decide to remove it, where do we move those posts in the Classic Commerce category?

1 Like

I think general category becomes unnecessary as people can just use the top category.

There is also no general support category right? even though there are subcategories.

Also, maybe make Plugin Support blue, since blue seems to be our support color and while I mention colors, make the security page subcategory of support black, as black seems to be our security color

Technically, there is a ā€œGeneral Supportā€ category. Though we try to move threads into the right category as they come in.

So, move posts in the #general-discussion:classiccommerce category to the Plugins category with a #classiccommerce tag?

I agree, I just wanted to organize everything first :slight_smile:

1 Like

That sounds reasonable to me.

1 Like

Great, all updated!

The tag is here: https://forums.classicpress.net/tags/classic-commerce

I think in general we should try to push using tags more often :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can we change the Classic SEO tag to classic-seo please?

Also, am I able to tag other existing threads or posts?

Yes, as you can change the post title.