Plugins from WP 4.9

I will be honest, I don’t really think the plugins working with CP is that hidden, and I can’t think of a better way to highlight them.

Assuming the latest section doesn’t show the current latest stuff (specifically about plugins) this would be my flow looking for plugins:

The best I can suggest is renaming the current threads to be more clear, and maybe making the lists nicer to look through - but when you have a ton of plugins that is always going to be an issue.

1 Like

If I go to that page I get this.

The "Plugins Confirmed Working"is further down the list.

Can the two posts “Plugins Confirmed Working” and “plugins built specifically” be pinned to the top?

That is because once you have viewed it is becomes unpinned for you. If you open that in a private/incognito window you will see they are re-pinned at the top :slight_smile:

After watching your video clip that is the first time I have clicked on the bold Plugins, clicking the headings never occurred to me. I would click the Plugins Directory with the orange box.
So after the first Time of seeing the “directory” I never saw it again.I could only find it using the search.
If there is a tag called plugins directory that is all that should be in it or a post with the directory list permanently pinned to the top.

1 Like

I agree, this is something that could happen. Since the “Plugin Directory” is about developing it, I would think it would be best to move that under the core team category instead.

We can also add a tag, that is an idea as well. I don’t believe there is a way to “permanently” pin a thread, I believe you can only pin until it has been opened but I will look into it and see if we can.

I think it affects everyone, but the theme developers/page builders most of all. I’m not familiar with all of the page builders, but I can say that Divi appears to be going around the block editor entirely (they have their own switch to shut off the block editor so you don’t need the Classic Editor plugin). That said, I believe their code does rely on some of the React libraries that are called by the block editor – which is why when they do an update, it breaks on ClassicPress sites.

For this target market, I think it would be most effective to target them specifically with emails from the ClassicPress community to let them know about us (if they don’t already) and to encourage them to consider supporting us – similar to what has been done to bring Installatron and Softaculous on board. I’m not sure how effective a social media campaign would be for these types of prospects. I’m curious to know what you and @easternwawoman think of this.

I’m also tagging @Pross here because I’m really interested to know what made Beaver Builder decide to support ClassicPress and what, in your opinion, is the most effective way to reach plugin, theme, and page builder developers to get them to support CP?

Thanks all for your feedback!

1 Like

I personally think Divi is dead as far as CP is concerned - unless you’re prepared to continue using an old version. They’ve made it clear they won’t be supporting CP. and they been pretty rude about it from what I can recall.

The way things are going with WordPress in general, themes and page builders are going to have to change considerably. I think @Pross has been proactive and has recognised that the future for WP page builders doesn’t look so rosy. Page builders in CP, on the other hand, still have a bright future and we should welcome Beaver Builder with open arms.

As for reaching out to developers et al, that’s where our shiny new Ecosystem Team comes into play of course. What I plan on doing is to assemble a list of priorities and approach each one in turn. In the contacts I’ve made thus far, a vital aspect has been offering to help the developer / provider to adjust and test their code. That’s what we’ve had to do for Installatron, Softaculous and currently Litespeed.

I’m also working with @pross to help Classic SEO provide better support for BB.

I personally would advise against using social media.

My tuppence worth.

3 Likes

We know that at least 10% of our users still use WP 4.x from our anon stats**.

On Page/Post edit screens we add a button to launch into the BB editor on the front end and ever since 5.0 was in alpha we added support for the new editor to show a block to do the same, or switch back to using the default editor.

We have had quite a few instances where they radically change how the API works and we have to recode our block … happened again recently with 5.3 but we patched around it.

We support back as far as 4.6 so CP should always just work as far as we are concerned :slight_smile:

** Beaver Builder Statistics

6 Likes

Given what I see people posting about online, I have concluded that plugins are one of the top conversation topics. It’s not the only one but it’s certainly right up there at the top. If you are a repeat user of the forums, I’m not surprised that you would find it not hard to locate. But to a new person who has a busy day and is cruising through here fast, I believe it needs to be extremely prominent. Isn’t there a way to add a top of screen banner text with link? I’d also headline it on the front page.

This sounds great; thank you! If there is anything I can assist with, let me know.

Thank you also for the feedback on social. I appreciate it.

1 Like

@wadestriebel - it was easy to find that thread in your video because it was recently updated and near the top. Give it a week and it will drop down the list out of sight. Try looking for my list of “must-have” plugins. It took me a while to find it and I know the name of it.

And although that plugins working with CP list is useful if you want to check a specific plugin by name, I don’t find it convincing as something to show people in a general discussion about CP. My experience has been that when people say “there will be no plugins” they mean “to do the job I want”. That’s why I started that wiki to try and cover the broad areas, and show there was at least one option for each.

I know that agencies have built their workflow around specific plugins, but many users just want, for example, “a security plugin” and whether it’s WordFence or Shield isn’t that big a deal.

So… you visit the forum, you look down the list of headings and see Plugins. Great, you click on that, and get this:

Followed by an infinitely long list of topic headings. Very few visitors will trawl down through this and look for possibly interesting threads. Could we have a category right at the top that is something like Plugins that work with ClassicPress ?

Then we can isolate the few wikis and lists we have to make them easily accessible. And we can directly link to that category in any online discussions. In fact, I would lock this category (if that’s possible) so that threads can only be added by you on request.

4 Likes

No, because it is pinned. When you open a pinned thread it becomes unpinned for you. But if you open the forums (as if you were a new user) logged out, they will be at the top of the category.

Having another category, in my opinion would remove the whole point of this holding category, so I don’t know if that makes sense either. I am open to hearing what everyone else thinks though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, OK. I never log out so haven’t seen this view.

1 Like

So, in this instance, demand for the plug-in is of no value to the developers?

I’d also be interested to know from the community if my “must-have” list is of any use. It hasn’t been pinned so I’m starting to think I might be the only one who ever looks at it. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Pinned it now, but from the stats that thread has 1.7k views :slight_smile:

That’s good to know. We use BB exclusively, all other page builders simply don’t compare.

Let’s make an Infrastructure category and put it under there instead, otherwise that’s fine with me.

I still think the best solution for the short to medium term is a documentation page that links to all of these resources and explains what they are. Coming soon!

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: About the Infrastructure category

Yes and I think this could bring even an interesting feedback about the mood…
It will be nice to reach some player in the themeforest market (ThemeFusion, muffingroup just as a random pick).

1 Like