Rank Math Discussion

Rank Math may have said they will support CP, but if they release updates that cause blank admin screens in CP (as they recently did), it suggests they’re not testing updates in CP before releasing them.

It’s one thing to say you support CP, and another to follow through.

4 Likes

Well, as I’ve openly admitted in the past (see above), I’ve never been the biggest fan of MyThemeShop, the company behind RM and I definitely don’t like how you need to create an account to use it.

I agree entirely and personally, I’d take what they say with a huge pinch of salt especially as this is the first time they’ve said they support CP. I’m guessing what they really mean is that they’ll continue to support WP 4.9, which is totally not the same as supporting CP. Or, perhaps they’re getting confused with Classic Editor?

But anyway, I’d be more than happy to continue developing Classic SEO if demand is there. To my mind, having to choose between a plugin which might still work with CP in a few months and one that is written specifically for CP is a no-brainer. But I’m not the one that needs convincing. :grinning:

6 Likes

If it is not too onerous then I think it is very worthwhile. Couple of reasons…

1. As others have mentioned Rank Math don’t inspire me with confidence.
  2. There is a big difference between a plugin that says they will support CP, compared to a plugin written by the CP community for the CP community. I’d go for the latter every time.

Having said that, if it’s interfering with your work on Classic Commerce I’d definitely drop it. :wink:

3 Likes

It is very time consuming…

…but I’ve always got time for more. :wink:

And that’s another big plus in favour of Classic SEO. It will be the only SEO plugin that fully supports Classic Commerce.

I could list nearly a million more. :grin:

7 Likes

This “less invasive” is a huge selling point for me.

Another point for Classic SEO…

I also agree with this.

4 Likes

I agree with what others have said. I haven’t been impressed by Rank Math and have so far stuck with The SEO Framework. But its developer has made clear he won’t be supporting ClassicPress, so I know I need to find an alternative. I haven’t yet tested Classic SEO but it is certainly looking like the way for me to go.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone. I think there’s enough support here to persuade me to carry on . . . not that I needed much persuading. And I notice from the poll that there’s now 8 users. :grinning:

I will also look at adding an SEO Framework importer. Classic SEO already supports imports from Rank Math, Yoast and All in One SEO, so adding SEO Framework would seem to make sense.

3 Likes

I’ve been with Classic SEO from the very first release and it’s on all my production sites. I like very much how you are keeping it light and easy. Maybe if you are interested in the real number of installation you should include Update Manager (and so I can uninstall GitHub updater :sweat_smile:) and I can help in setting up statistics that are not yet part of it but I’ve already something working.

2 Likes

There’s an open issue for this… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yup. It’s in the pipeline.

3 Likes

Too long didn’t read.
@1stepforward don’t you dare drop Classic SEO. I am using it with my new site and it’s a breeze.
Jokes aside, I don’t like RankMath attitude of “we will support” not backed up with a coherent course of action.
I feel that for my site is way more stable and reliable using something specifically built for the CMS I am using.
Yes, I could use a cheap gasket on a Ferrari. I totally could. But I won’t do this. It’s a Ferrari, after all.
And I think that, aside from this opinion of mine, Classic SEO can evolve and be a profitable plugin for the one who develops it.

5 Likes

Thanks Elisabetta. You can relax. I’ve no intention of dropping Classic SEO. I must confess to being a little surprised by the response from RM at first but as they’ve not even hinted at supporting CP at any time in the past (to the best of my knowledge) I soon realised they’re just empty words.

As far as Classic SEO is concerned, I am currently working on:

• Classic Commerce support
  • SEO Framework importer
  • Beaver Builder support (with help from @Pross)
  • Improved support for ACF
  • Integration with @anon71687268’s Updater

and one or two other smallish things.

After 1.0 is released, my main focus will be on cleaning up the codebase.

So the only place Classic SEO is going is upwards :rocket:

And I do like how you compare Classic SEO to a Ferrari. I’ll take that. :grin:

12 Likes