Remove emoji support

Remove emoji support since it won’t be used in the docs and it’s better for performance.

3 Likes

Also server file edit related

Will tackle during week.

2 Likes

Emoji removed.

We still have a prefetch for twemoji thou.

We can remove that with remove_action( 'wp_head', 'wp_resource_hints', 2 );, but I am not so sure this is the best solution.

@James maybe you have some insight in this?
I think this is related to https://github.com/ClassicPress/ClassicPress/issues/140#issuecomment-435915443, but I did not Dig levels deep. Just a quick search.

I did not add the remove_action( 'wp_head', 'wp_resource_hints', 2 ); for now, because there’s more than just the twemoji.classicpress.net loaded to it, and it would probably be righter to remove the prefetch when we do

remove_action( 'wp_head', 'print_emoji_detection_script', 7 );
remove_action( 'wp_print_styles', 'print_emoji_styles' );
remove_action( 'admin_print_scripts', 'print_emoji_detection_script' );
remove_action( 'admin_print_styles', 'print_emoji_styles' );
2 Likes

Bumping this thread with a new Question: Is there a CP plugin to remove emojis or do I just add my own code to theme? What I’d really like to know is: Will version 2.0 have an option to remove emoji scripts - or should/could we add this option to theme (Customizer maybe)? Will there be a policy or discussion on this?

As the above threads mention there will be some options to remove emojis but was not solid on the outcome or decision on this.

Here is my most common solution for theme integration. snippwiki