Roadmap

So it sounds like PHP 8 compatibilityis probably top priority in terms of technical desires. Should it be higher priority than fixing and/or testing PHPMailer?

As far as i know it was mentioned that work on PHP mailer is already advanced during the core meeting.
I might have misunderstood but they were talking about scheduling it for release?
And it was reported that some of the work on PHP 8 is in progress, but I think they could use help since it is a very huge endeavour.
I think about PHP mailer it is important to release a fix because it is what broke the 1.4 release, so it’s natural that after the revert that was made to correct the issue we release it when ready IMHO.

@MattyRob can you give us an update on phpmailer?

I think, overall, we need better information on the main website about getting started.

1 Like

One other thing I want to mention is fixing donation button. I remember being reported that there were issues with it month ago and I don’t know if it was fixed.

Since Classic Commerce isn’t actively maintained right now, I think it might be right to move donations somewhere else. I will look into using Stripe checkout and other Stripe options to make donations easier. Fundraising will be #1 goal for me, so the process needs to be easy and functional.

3 Likes

PHPMailer is updated to version 6.6.3 in develop and it now uses a similar fix that used to be used in Wordpress but that they decided to drop - this will maintain backwards compatibility - and there is a unit test to ensure the edit remains in place.

5 Likes

On fundraising, I may well have missed earlier discussion, but have you considered joining Open Collective? I support a couple of other open source projects there and one benefit it is that they will themselves highlight interesting projects, which could bring CP to the attention of potential users. I would certainly be happy to support through Open Collective.

1 Like

Thanks, @JeremyCherfas for reminding us of Open Collective. When CP was forked, in the early days, it did have an Open Collective account. It was closed after a while. We will look into the possibility of opening it again. I will let you know once I have an update.

1 Like

Thanks again for the Open Collective suggestion, @JeremyCherfas. We have created a collective and plan to switch all donations to Open Collective. We’re still adding information, but it’s fully functional. So you can support CP and donate: ClassicPress - Open Collective

We’ll make an official announcement once we set everything up.

3 Likes

Declined both my Visa and Mastercard.

Edit: Fixed

1 Like

I logged in today to delete my account and found a notification for this post. There’s a few points I’d like to clear up.

For me, that ship has sailed. I’ve moved back to WordPress and the idea of giving CP a third chance is…well… just not on the table. I won’t involve in another software project that attempts a democratic model for reasons I’ll state at the end of this post.

Stalling was the least of ClassicPress’ issues…and may have been more a symptom than a main cause. More of an issue was the human resources management. There was a tendency to not discuss/address HUGE (human resources) issues – such as removing Charles and James in a timely manner after it had become obvious they were a problem. Too, for whatever reason, certain toxic personalities have made CP their home. One can log on here almost any day and find a negative, toxic comment within a few minutes. The majority of the community is positive and helpful, but, a the toxics remain a fly in the ointment.

It wasn’t just the Directors. There were a lot more donations in the early days – I donated more than $3,000 to the project.

I’ve reported many posts over my time here… Nothing was ever done about any of it and it became apparent that reporting wasn’t worth the time. There were also a handful of times (when I was a moderator) where I’d make a forum decision and James would undo it, unable to stay in his own lane, which just led me to quit the position due to simple attrition.

Democracy was a neat idea…but what ended up happening is that, because everyone’s opinion had to be fielded, nobody’s ideas got acted on. A lot of time was always spent on pointless discussion. Remember the mile-long post where the guy wanted external links to open in a new tab and the entire thread was spent informing them again and again and again that is was not done this was for a viable reason – they still never accepted it and everyone’s time was wasted. I daresay that member probably isn’t even around anymore. My point is: all opinions on all topics are not equal and giving them equal airtime, opportunity, and legitimacy was a mistake.

This is a good example of what I referenced above – having to repeat the same thing because the other person doesn’t accept or understand it.

Anyway, while the ClassicPress project is no longer “for me” I do wish you all well in the endeavor.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing. It’s valuable feedback that, hopefully, won’t fall on deaf ears.

3 Likes