SiteGround Auto-Updater and ClassicPress

Not unusual. One of the bigger hosts here in Australia recently decided they would install Litespeed Cache Plugin on every WP site they host, without notification or permission. Broke a few sites in the process.

2 Likes

I have mixed feelings about that. The sites I am moving over to ClassicPress were installed using their WordPress installer. You could say that I gave that permission when I used their installer vs doing it by hand. But given that, the lack of an easy way to opt out once that has been done is a huge problem.

1 Like

I’ve never used their WordPress installer. Always uploaded via SFTP and remote MySQL access. I’ve never given them permission to touch a single file.

2 Likes

Well this did not work [quote=“clifgraves, post:14, topic:1090”]
define( ‘WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE’, false );
This will disable all automatic WordPress updates. "
[/quote]
Putting in a case vs chat request to turn off the updater did the trick. So they can turn it off on the back end but do not give user the ability to do that. Not really developer friendly.

So the situation is pretty much as I understood it. You have to talk to them and give the URL of every site that should be excluded from the updater. At least we know.

1 Like

Please do not use WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE to disable updates!

This will disable ALL updates, including via the ClassicPress update system!

This continues to be an issue with Siteground + ClassicPress, but we now have a lot more information about specific hosting providers in this hosting subforum.

1 Like