TukuToi Contact Form Support

Take a look at their Email Acceptance Policy

So as it turns out, Iā€™m not the only developer making a plugin dealing with email that would run into above issue of mail rejected or else

We tested another simple plugin and as well the mail wasnā€™t sent/received

So cf7 and others (major well known ā€œcontactā€ form plugins) use some more advanced magic to make these things work on all cases

Iā€™ll dig, find and solve, but that could take a while
If anyone has like insight in this (wp_mail with things like protonmail etc) and/or knows how to successfully send a mail in all possible cases Iā€™m all ear

As it stands it seems my plugin isnā€™t compatible with at least proton mail service

1 Like

Cf7 seems to just do

$headers = "From: $sender\n";

My guess is incorrect headers. See this issue for some possible insight.

1 Like

What Iā€™ve seen some hosting providers do to reduce spam is require FROM email address to be from the sending domain. It doesnā€™t have to exist, just needs to be formatted with the domain.

For example, for domain.com the FROM address would need to be something like [email protected].

For clients that wanted to reply directly to the form submission email I had to add submitterā€™s email as a reply-to email.

This is what Beda is currently doing.

1 Like

I would suggest using CPā€™s own SMTP plugin

and try some SMTP providers. I like Mailgun but there are other optionsā€¦

Sendinblue SMTP
SendGrid SMTP
Gmail SMTP

Thereā€™s no such thing. :wink:

1 Like

My webhost only supports PHP mail function for PHP sites, and the program sendmail for other types of sites. They block SMTP connections, though I canā€™t say if that includes using an SMTP plugin.

Besides, Iā€™m trying to keep my costs as low as possible, and using SMTP is not yet justified at this point.

Thereā€™s also the fact that Iā€™m trying to depend on third-party services (and their TOS) as little as possible. I write religious stuff, and at times that can be offensive to some people. I donā€™t want to wake up one day and find a service I depend on cut off because there are those who donā€™t like what I have to say.

This seems to be a common theme. I guess if you are going to be using a restrictive host then you need to work out solutions around that. Maybe forget the contact form and just put your email address on the contact page?

Yes, Iā€™ve thought of just putting my email address, but only as a last resort. Users are more likely to send me messages if thereā€™s already a contact form in place.

For now I have Fluentforms installed in my CP development site, and though I havenā€™t yet thoroughly tested its contact form, it does work in sending email notifications. (FF, however, has many features I donā€™t need, and so itā€™d be nice to replace it with a dedicated contact form plugin.)

Itā€™s the same with Contact Form 7, which I used when I was still building my site using WP, before I switched to CP. Despite my restrictive webhost, CF7 does work very well. (But as you might know, CF7 no longer supports WP 4.9.)

Anyway, I was thinking that itā€™s a good thing Iā€™m testing this plugin by beda in my restrictive webhost. If he can get it to work in my environment, then itā€™s a strong guarantee that itā€™ll work in most other, less-paranoid webhosts :grinning:

1 Like

@anon66243189 I finally got your Contact Form plugin working, and the problem is not with the plugin itself, but with my webhost. Or rather, the plugin did not work before because I had to do something first, and that is, to tell my webhost (through an SPF DNS record) that Iā€™m allowing emails to be sent from my registered domain through my webhostā€™s email server. I didnā€™t do this before, and so the emails produced by your plugin was dropped before they could be sent.

This is the SPF record I added to my DNS:

v=spf1 include:sites.nearlyfreespeech.net ~all

And so, in my web environment, because your Contact Form sends email using the blogā€™s email address as the sender, it requires two conditions (at least if using PHP to send mail):

1. The blog email address must use a custom domain (a Gmail account wonā€™t do).
  2. The domain must have an SPF record telling the world that itā€™s being used for email, including what servers are ā€œauthorizedā€ to send those emails.

My domain is registered in my webhost, and my DNS is managed there. Perhaps this will work too even if the domain is registered and managed elsewhere, as long as that SPF record is in place.