Unique Selling Point

Not at all, @norske
We aspire to show your level of thoughtfulness and consideration.

You are right. “Phoning home” is a bit that remained from when the question was phrased differently.
It belongs in its own question.
“Phoning home” is when a plugin makes automatic contact with the plugin author and conveys data about its use.

Edit: So basically, you have something like "Do you believe that plugin authors should have the right to include code within their plugin that automatically sends data regarding the site it is installed on to the plugin author?

• Yes and this does not require disclosure;
  • Yes, but this requires disclosure somewhere in the plugin description;
  • Yes, but this requires the ability to opt-out. However, it may include sensitive data (like customer information);
  • Yes, but this requires the ability to opt-out. Also, it should only include non-sensitive, anonymized data;
  • No, unless there is explicit opt-in consent. However, it may include sensitive data (like customer information);
  • No, unless there is explicit opt-in consent. Also, it should only include non-sensitive, anonymized data;
  • No, I would never do this in any of my plugins."

The phrasing could use work though.

1 Like

I don’t know what you are talking about: “a price-taker philosophy”. You said in a different comment that the goal was to attract devs.
Someone else said that building a site in WP was “developing”.
Since the poll is not explaining the term, it is useless.
I went to a local meetup for “Web Devs”. I was surprised to learn that out of a group of 8, at least 4 didn’t know PHP. Most did not use WP.

I agree with norske that they should all be optional. I can develop web sites without falling into any of those categories (core, plugins, themes). Actually, I wrote a site in PHP similar to WP (much scaled down) back in 2006 before I found WP.

This was in the list to rate skill though. And James said the same thing in Slack…

1 Like

I think it comes down to that everyone has very different backgrounds and that comes with some jargon, so misunderstandings are easy.

The primary goal of the poll, to paraphrase how Elisabetta phrased it, is to understand devs.
We want to know what their needs and preferences are and then figure out how CP can best serve these.
We are trying to build a marketing persona.
So that is when you write a fictitious character with a name, even a pic and a bio.
You then map out a user experience journey for each of these personas (there are others, but the dev is the first one).
So, basically, you would create a flow chart of their experience with your product (CP).
You would make note of all the contact points.
This helps you to make the documentation as intuitive as possible.
It also helps you to plan your business strategy and to allocate resources.
It can also help you to get news outlets interested, like @LinasSimonis correctly pointed out.
So, this is a very important starting point, because it is meant to provide information which a lot of future organizational choices can be based on…

One of the main things this helps to inform, is the Unique Selling Proposition that this thread refers to.
That is the specific combination of value factors (things like security, ease of use, features, after sales service) that maps your specific position in the market place and distinguishes you from competitors.

When I refer to a “price-taker” strategy, I mean that you position yourself in the market as an alternative to something else.
So, some big player in the market (WP) makes the decisions and everyone else is reactionary.
Of course, this is natural if you’re going to do a hard-fork of WP.

But, for CP to become a CMS in its own right and not just “without Gutenberg”, you need to compare it to the market of CMS solutions, including those that are not based on PHP and that may be proprietary.
Especially since corporate entities usually have a bias against PHP and open source.

Hope this makes sense :sunflower:

Agree with the rest. The Admin-AJAX question was originally phrased differently earlier in the thread.
It should have its own (properly phrased) question or be left out.
I was just explaining what the goal behind it is, so that we can see if there is a viable way of addressing it.

1 Like

Lots of verbiage for one little thing.
The questions I read were a mix of assuming the reader was exposed to WP and not. So I think your poll is flawed. You are asking the questions now while there is not much difference between CP and WP. You should not use the results of that later when there is a bigger difference.
Your answers to suggestions here have been split between two goals, so I think you should clarify your goal or have two polls for devs.

And the words “business focused” for me now translate in granular control and safety first. What if we start to tell people those concepts? How is a dev going to react?

A very good point. While CP offers WordPress compatibility, to flourish it needs to differentiate itself. The primary difference is the focus on business rather than a hydra-like blog/cms/commercial/open-source mish-mash. Adding security and granularity of control would even further highlight CP’s USP.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Plugin Review/Rating System Discussion

I amended the poll to reflect last inputs received.
To clarify a bit, a recap of the purpose of this polling:

We need to understand who our target is to define our USP (Unique Selling Points) towards the target, so the questions are used to map what motivated people to look for alternatives and how and how they got in touch with CP.
Also we need to understand a little of background about our targets, in order to use correct wording in approaching them, so the questions about skills and specific WP features and CP expectations.
This poll has to be used NOW, it’s not something we should use in the future.
And it’s not meant to attract people to CP or communicate CP existence.
That is why I haven’t included very specific technical stuff in it, it’s not to discuss and divulge.
We need to know how we can describe CP, to do this we have to identify the differences we see ourselves while developing for CP and also understand the perceived differences outsiders see.
On the “verbiose” remark, as I said before, I am not an expert in polling. I have some knowledge of marketing and a slight understanding of statistics, that is why I needed so much input from more versed people. Everyone has outlined crucial points and many good points have been discussed to make this polling the most effective possible. I really appreciate the help and insight all the members gave for it demonstrates that CP is inclusive and supportive, and i believe this is one of the things differentiating CP from WP.
Let me know if the amended version of the polling has to be considered final, so that I can spread the world.

1 Like

Why are you considering alternatives to your usual go-to coding language/CMS?

Nice phrasing, Elisabetta!

I know this version is a bit longer, but it will give a lot of actionable data :sunflower:
I really hope the coders will support it :blush:

Edit: Elisabetta, could you please give links to blog / where it can be found, here and in Slack? :sunflower:

Nudges @james @omukiguy @Mte90 @ozfiddler @anon71687268 @azurecurve @norske @joyously @timkaye @spanner44

Please support this?
Elisabetta made it anonymous, so you can be honest.
All questions are optional now.
The survey should not take long. Even a few short sentences will help a lot.

Elisabetta did an awesome job. :clap:

2 Likes

I think as a fork of Wordpress, the tagline fork will be around for a longtime for classicpress, so it best not to get too hung up on this.

You only have to look in the world of Linux distros, and they still call ubuntu a fork of debian, as well as many others.

Personally instead of targeting and focusing on just the business market, I would prefer classicpress to be marketed as an opensource ( I presume it is or kinda of) blogging platform with its focus on security and privacy, an important feature that concerns many people and not just bloggers.

If we want developers to support Classicpress with a variety of themes and plugins, we need a broad spectrum of these, and not just plugins etc that focus a business market (I know there is probably an overlap here), or developers who don’t think they fit into the business sector.

5 Likes

thanks everyone for helping!
link to the post on my blog where it’s possible to fill the form has been published on slack (#random channel).
also I will put it here so it’s easier for everyone to find it.
https://www.elisabettacarrara.com/poll-classicpress-adoption-cycle/

4 Likes

A new version of the poll is really much stronger. And it was a nice idea to describe “scores” with objective statements. Great job, @ElisabettaCarrara!

3 Likes

My concern is that CP not become some Swiss army knife, targeting every conceivable use case. Such a broad focus essentially results in no focus at all. However, I do agree that security and privacy be an utmost priority – qualities every use type would desire.

2 Likes

Focusing on business users can necessitate SOME trade-offs in terms of features and ease of use.

However, we do have the casual business user / blogger as the third main marketing persona.
The aim is not to entirely exclude them, because they can help with overall market share.
As much as CP’s main focus is not chasing the numbers, you do have to consider the impact that numbers have on risk perceptions and such. (Story for another day. It can get quite long.)
But this user type does not constitute the main focus.
It is more that, as you say, core values of security and privacy translate well into any market eventually.

Dev will be looked at first (because they are generally the first part of the user base as innovators in the technology adoption cycle).
We will then do the semi-corporate business user.
Then the casual user / blogger.

Generally, a newer solution like CP is more successful if it has a more narrowly defined target market.
Business users are generally fairly predictable, although their quality standards (particularly security, which is a core CP coding philosophy, and privacy) tend to be significantly higher.

A casual / blogger user is best targeted through plugins in an ecosystem like CP.

2 Likes

I was being against a promotion towards a business community, but was just thinking why I crossed over to Classicpress, which was obviously because of the familiarity between classicpress and wordpress before the gutenburg thing.

Because it as being promoted as that I decided to change over as it was what I was looking for. But if I was looking for a blogging platform now as a fresh start say for example and it was promoted as a business blogging platform, it would put me off as i would think it would either be too complicated for me, as a lot of business software normally has a steep learning curve, or wouldn’t be appropriate for my needs as a person wanting to create a blog.

As i said, this is just my opinion, we can all look at it different, depending on the perspective, and also understand the need to try and find a USP.

3 Likes

@spanner44 in saying cp is business focused for me only means it is a wp addressing the needs of people needing top notch security, control over what gets implemented, a higher flexibility (let me explain, you may think wp is flexible but in fact even using plugins it’s not quite. It’s too limited because it started as a blogging platform and now it’s used as a CMS, e-commerce and all kind of sites thanks to plugins. But I bet nobody finds the “perfect” plugin to do the job as needed).
We want to use wp as a base to address such issues.
I agree with you the word “business” is not quite what we need to describe CP, that is why we need all the possible input and ideas about that, and the reason for launching polls about that.

The more we discuss USPs, the more I think CP’s marketing (including the tagline) should reflect them. That way, we don’t need to define the target market ourselves. The “target market” will define itself according to whom our USPs resonate with.

2 Likes

I’m more than happy to support ClassicPress, I just find myself promising my time in lots of different areas and projects.

My main problem at the moment is over promising my time and then struggling to deliver.

If I can help, give me a deliverable and an approach and I’m happy to take on and deliver, but I need someone to give that direction. When my other promises are delivered (assuming I can stop myself over promising) I can probably be more proactive without this level of guidance.

3 Likes

You are right that the USP and the target market are very closely related.

@timkaye

Have a look at the Business Model Canvas.
It is one image, so will only take a minute. (Edited: Lol. Did not realize the link will embed, so no need to convince anyone to follow it :rofl:

The value proposition (USP) is in the middle.
The factors around it are all interrelated considerations.

1 Like

@azurecurve
Thank you.
When you have 10 - 15 mins, could you please complete this if you have some time?
It is an anonymous survey to help us understand dev users better for preliminary marketing planning.
It is not a recurring commitment, just once off.

1 Like

@ElisabettaCarrara: Great job with the poll! Done!

3 Likes