Unique Selling Point

@Mte90

Sure.

RECAP FOR NEW READERS

We believe that it is important to share common values / priorities across an organization in order to be successful. (So developers and marketers need to talk to one another and have the same end goal.)

We believe that it is important to articulate a Value Proposition / Unique Selling Point before v2 is released.
This value proposition is closely related to defining target markets, as mentioned in an exchange with Tim.

In order to articulate a Value Proposition, we would like to:

• Create marketing personas (fictional character bios with names, images, back-stories);
  • Map user experience journeys.
    User Experience Journeys are very useful for making user documentation as intuitive as possible.
    It also helps define the sales funnel (including for monetization considerations) later on.

In order to create the marketing personas, we need to see whether our hypotheses hold true or not.
@ElisabettaCarrara created a Google survey for us to collect some basic data.
A couple of committee members have had a look at the survey.
Michelle has been following the discussion and also tagged Ray.
A large number of users provided input.

There are currently four main personas:
Dev; Web Professional; Semi-Corporate Business User; Casual User.

We suspect that there are at least three personalities within the main dev persona.

We need to finish collecting data and then analyze it before recommendations can be made.

2 Likes

Excellent Summary! And many thanks to you, @anon71742606 and @ElisabettaCarrara for moving this forward.

1 Like

Personas are always useful.
My only doubt is about the purpose for use them, I mean for contributing or use the software?

If it is the first group:

• Backend Developer
  • Frontend Developer
  • Casual user
  • Marketer
  • Designer

In this way we have the biggest group of people that usually act also in others like localizing or documenting/training stuff as example.
https://make.wordpress.org/ is an helpful resource on that, the team are like the personas because people help in this kind of group activities.

If it is to use the software:

• Technician
    • Backend Developer
    • Frontend Developer
    • Sysadmin/Assistence
  • Casual user
  • Marketer
  • Designer
  • Semi-Corporate Business User
    • E-Commerce/E-Digital service Seller
    • Magazine editors (or authors)
    • Entrepreneurs/Startup

In my experience inside WordPress, in the community and in my work this are the various group of persona as user of the software.

Why contributing and users as personas are different? Because when you choose to contribute the reasons are usually personal or because you want to learn more so you put yourself initially at a very low point and only after you use all the skills.
Basically when someone chose to join a community is like at level 1, after a bit of confidence and how a community works this level up and use all the experience like you are doing when joined this community.

5 Likes

There is a spectrum from die-hard contributors to apathetic consumers.
Of course, most people fall somewhere in the middle.
We expect to see some links to the technology adoption cycle.

There was some discussion earlier in the thread about “devs by necessity”.
So, this would be someone who has a different profession (sometimes very different indeed), who needed an online channel and started creating custom solutions because they could not find all the functionalities that they needed.

We expect to see differences between contributors and consumers.
However, we also believe that there will be a (potentially large) overlap.
We would like to see which factors distinguish a “consumer” from an “inexperienced contributor”.

Edit: We suspect that CP may be reaching saturation for “innovator” adopters and that it would be beneficial to put some thought into attracting “early adopters” without alienating innovator types. We would like for integration to be as smooth as possible.

I like this phrasing by Elisabetta on the technology adoption cycle thread.

1 Like

I am back.
Caffeinating myself at the moment :stuck_out_tongue: and catching up.
@Mte90 yours is a valuable input, and very detailed. I feel however at this stage we need to start assessing a broader idea, then we may refine, because our userbase is not as big as wp’s hence not so variegated.
In the future it’s definitely possible for us to reach that level of complexity however.
My concern about those surveys is that having a small userbase we may get partial information. but this is a risk we need to undergo if we want to have at least an idea of the situation now.
Thanks for all your feedback.

3 Likes