Update Manager 1.0.1 is out!

Done :smiley:

5 Likes

You used my “Yay” as a review? :grin:

OK, give me a minute and I’ll come up with something slightly longer.

What happened with the images location enhancement? The docs still say:

You can use your own plugin banner and icon images to improve the end user experience. If you have these images, create an /images/ directory in your plugin and drop them there.

Edit: see above for review.

3 Likes

I mean, I’ll take what I can get. :smiley: Thanks for the great review!

This is documented under filters.

2 Likes

Excellent! Filters, and example code. :+1:

3 Likes

Great, time to dig in. I’ll post a review immediately I get it up and running.

2 Likes

I will probably need to take some time to add this to my plugin soon, haha.

3 Likes

Maybe I’m wrong, but it’s changed (filters and text domain) added.
But I think better waiting before changing it in other plugins. Why?

3 Likes

You are correct! …and this is a good reason why I shouldn’t try to draft a post as I go…better to do it all at the end. I see you have just submitted a PR to fix this issue while I was in the process of making the new release’s docs/endpoint; Nonetheless, I appreciate your speedy response to this!

Version 1.0.1 has been pushed…and the original post updated with the new version.

5 Likes

You’ve been faster than me :rofl:

3 Likes

Probably only by seconds. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Using the Update Manager to update itself feel’s sort of… meta.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you very much! Shield Security identifies the plugin as a potential malware. I assume that I can safely ignore the warning and mark it as accepted plugin, but could you please check first, just in case? See the warning below:

wp-content/plugins/codepotent-update-manager/includes/constants.php
[Path: wp-content/plugins/codepotent-update-manager/includes/]

Potential Malware Detected

• Pattern Detected: VjaG
  • Affected line numbers: 154

See below the explanation by Shield Security about their scans for potential malware:
https://icontrolwp.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/3000093532

5 Likes

Ah, it’s my SVG logo… I’ll update them to use normal png images. Sorry for the inconvenience.

3 Likes

Hi @jfmayer, thanks very much for this report. Yes, you can safely ignore the warnings on that file. I base64 encoded some SVG images so they could be served inline and save a page request. Apparently, that wasn’t the fantastic idea I thought it was. :slight_smile: I’ve opened an issue for this and it will be resolved expeditiously.

6 Likes

@Paul might also be interested in taking a look at the above issue (false positive with Shield Security in Update Manager plugin).

3 Likes

@james @jfmayer @anon71687268 just a quick comment on false positives - they’re quite common, and we filter the vast majority out before they appear, but the system is designed to “learn”, so the more that admins flag them, they’ll eventually disappear from results. But always worth checking a file result, as @jfmayer did, before doing so.

7 Likes

Good point, @james…and thanks for the additional insights on this, @paul. As noted, @jfmayer did exactly the right thing here.

In this case, I’ll go ahead and use traditional images for the logo files instead of base64 encoded strings. since it will be much more readily apparent what those lines actually are. …'course, I have those lines in a bunch of plugins by now, so, it will be a day or three. :slight_smile:

Appreciate the follow-up, thanks!

4 Likes

Thank you very much for the answers, I will mark the warning as “ignore” then.

3 Likes

FYI, I’m pleased to say that Update Manager works seamlessly with MainWP. MainWP shows the Update Manager-controlled plugins that need updating and it successfully updates them.

Nice job!

7 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Unable to get Update Manager working with my Alerter plugin