Update TinyMCE from v4 to v5

This looks like a good start :slight_smile:

Does wpautop still work (insofar as such a thing can be said to “work” anyway)? Inserting/manipulating media files? Links? What about the other TinyMCE plugins loaded from ClassicPress/src/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins at develop · ClassicPress/ClassicPress · GitHub?

3 Likes

I’m doing a bit of cleanup and renaming it to “ClassicPress Editor” before publishing. After I grab a bite, I’ll run through the various features and see what works and doesn’t. Then, when I publish it to the research repo, I’ll provide notes to ensure everyone’s on the same page to start.

6 Likes

No need to test all of those yourself either, but at least leaving the testing of all TinyMCE plugins as an action item would be good.

1 Like
3 Likes

I’ve created an issue / task list for what is probably most of the remaining work here:

I’m also curious - what is the reasoning behind naming this plugin “ClassicPress Editor”? I would think the ClassicPress Editor is the one that’s already shipped with ClassicPress.

3 Likes

This doesn’t need to work with Enriched Editor, necessarily. It could completely negate the need for it. :wink:

3 Likes

I thought the intent was to create the plugin as a research project, hammer out any issues there, and then ship it with core when it was ready. When/if it ships with core, it will be the ClassicPress Editor. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Do any of the CP tests cover the editor?

2 Likes

Wow, while I’m sleeping over here, you are making huge progress! Great work @anon71687268

I’ll be in for testing it when you have something.

3 Likes

It is a proof of concept, tests are a great thing to be added though and if anyone can help there that would be amazing :+1:

1 Like

Yes, but the comments in the referenced WP tickets indicate that there are core tests. I just didn’t know if those tests were added after the fork or not.

3 Likes

Thanks. The PR was already approved. Feel free to give it a go and note any issues you find.

2 Likes

Transferred to GitHub

3 Likes

Feedback/issues should be posted to GitHub. Otherwise, this thread’s going to be miles long.

3 Likes

This is great guys. Can’t wait for a version that the rest of the community can test.

2 Likes

The rest of the community is free to test it. It takes a village.

1 Like

i mean a beta version, or something like that… :smile:

anyway, i’ll think about creating an account in GitHub so that i can jump in…

4 Likes

Nice job.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s pretty cool @anon71687268 - Congratulations for being amazing.

Such a good organization is really motivating. I will convince some friends who use WP for their blogs to make the change to CP.

Also, I will test your plugin and see if I can collaborate with this, got some free time the following days.

As you mentioned, if I find something useful I will open a GitHub issue about it.

:rocket:

4 Likes

You can download the zip file directly from GitHub: https://github.com/ClassicPress-research/ClassicPress-Editor/archive/refs/heads/main.zip

1 Like