What are some of the most important open source plugins in the pre-Gutenberg WP ecosystem? I want to try to keep them compatible with the CP Next version I am working on

I doubt @anon98749105 wants the plugin because it’s block-ready. Shortcodes were an integral part of building a WP website, and still is an integral part of CP since CP doesn’t have blocks. They offer a lot of features that users can utilize without coding.

Why would we want to use plugins that add useless bloat to CP?

When it’s necessary. Or when there’s no other choice. Actually, I personally use only a few of the available shortcodes, but other people may want to use more, and so it’s best to focus on a single “all-in-one” shortcodes plugin. As Viktor said, shortcodes is still an integral part of a CP site.

1 Like

You both misunderstood my words. Shortcodes are fine, great actually.

The question is: Why would we use plugins that add useless bloat to CP?

Where useless bloat means: being block ready.

He of course doesn’t want the plugin because it’s block ready. He wants it because of its original purpose: shortcodes.

But again and as always, WordPress is introducing all that stuff, which eventually will be breaking stuff (just like what happened with slim SEO).

Which again and as always leads to the same than always always always: CP doesn’t make sense if it doesn’t cut from WP.

3 Likes

Just to add one more thing related to shortcodes. I don’t know how you feel about shortcodes, but there was work being done on an improved shortcode parser on WP side:

There’s a petition for that:

Something to consider.

1 Like

My sites in development are a few minor versions behind the latest version of Slim SEO, but I was sure the plugin developers have committed to support ClassicPress.

Please don’t ever touch Classic SEO! This is one of the wonders of CP. The only plugin that really does all the necessary basics. A masterpiece!

3 Likes

Featured Image by URL
I don’t know if this is an open source plugin but it is very useful for my site.
A similar supplement also popular has already stepped into Gutenberg.
For an addition like this, I had written a petition to be part of the core of ClassicPress, there was a debate here about it but it didn’t seem to have fallen on fertile ground.
This add-on is still on WP until version 4.0 and has not been updated for a year.
I’m afraid that this add-on won’t become part of Gutenberg in the next update, or worse, that it will run out of time or simply disappear.
Without that add-on, my gaming page will become useless.
And the plugin is useful for all those who have hosting with less storage and photos as in my case are very important and take up storage space

The problem with this is that it opens up a potential CORS security issue. (It wouldn’t if it was just being used as a means of importing the image, but that’s not what you’re asking for.) So this is not a good candidate to be part of core.

It’s better left as a plugin specifically for those who want this feature. And there’s no problem with forking that plugin. Any plugin listed on wordpress.org is open source.

1 Like

Exactly. But I also have to add that the initial scope of this post was not to look for “Core Plugins”. Actually, some of us and myself included are confusing the concept of “Core Plugin”. A Core Plugin isn’t something we ADD, but instead something we TAKE AWAY from Core and provide it as a plugin. So this can’t be called a Core Plugin because it has never been in Core in the first place. If anything at all, it should be called a potential CP Native plugin (a forked and adapted version for ClassicPress).

The scope of this post was to get feedback on real plugins being used by real ClassicPress users, with the idea that I (or anyone interested!) activate them in the ClassicPress Next version that is currently being developed (by me, but not a “one man show”, anyone can/should/is-encouraged-to jump in!) for the sake of keeping them working while breaking changes are being introduced.

So far, all the listed plugins on this post are working fine with MINOR ISSUES that get fixed in less time than it takes to criticize what is being done (without providing alternatives…).

So I will fork the Featured Image by URL WordPress plugin for you and keep it working with the Next version.

For the antiprogress feed-backers, please find a solution to this before posting utopic nevergonnahappen ideas.

WaveplayerFor podcasts # WavePlayer - Reprodutor de Áudio Waveform para WordPress e WooCommerce

Blockquote

Thank you for asking.

I nominate Next-Gen Gallery’s OSS fork, Nextcellent Gallery.

This plugin has a troubled and tangled history through several companies, but is very useful for organising (which is where the stock WP Media fails) posting (more options than the stock Media) images. For me, it makes WP possible to use as a media presentation platform.

In particular, it uses Galleries, which are folders of images and posts single images, whole Galleries or Albums, which are collections of Galleries, I tried the latter but but do not use, it would be useful for putting a lot of images on one page or post.

The useful part is that I can post a related group of images in a post or a single one very quickly, and I can use a Gallery to save the single images in one place by year, so tracking down an image is easy by looking at the link.

Also, when Google, etc. decide to reach into the cookie jar, NG allows me to change the path in its control panel, so I can alter the top folder name by one letter and do likewise in NG and my photos are safe from being plundered by bots.

Google has a habit, and now automattic also does, of supplying free thumbnails of my work to people hotlinking it from my site. The ability to easily change the path to all my work undermines that.

IIRC, Nextcellent was a student project and abandoned. Some features of the current Next-Gen fail to work for me and it is missing features as the current group drive to monetise it.

UPDATE, the current version of the commercial Nextgen Gallery does not work on CP.

had some issues, but the basic useful parts worked fine and better than any of the commercial versions.

UPDATE; Nextcellent works on CP with PHP 7.4.28, so far it shows a failure on image upload but the image actually does upload and is usable and can be added to a post.

Twere it me, Nextcellent would be included in the stock install as an alternative to WP’s Media. At the time it was developed it had a decent following and brought a lot of long-time users along.

Do you have any serious long-form content bloggers here? There are things that are important to us:

• Table of Contents plugin (most use Easy Table of Contents in WP)

• Ability to paste a video URL in and have the video appear full screen (plugin or code)

• Broken link checker - the plugin is problematic so maybe an online version can be used as a replacement

• Anti-spambot plugin. A developer created one and named it after my site (GrowMap anti-spambot plugin aka G.A.S.P.) It was brilliant because it blocked spam so you could see your real comments. That developer had serious health issues. The relative who took over CommentLuv did not release a free version of G.A.S.P. but the functionality still exists in CommentLuv Premium plugin (built before Gutenberg existed). [Akismet is a joke and totally worthless because it lets all the spam in while putting your real commenters in with the thousands of spam comments.]

• Comments are an important part of building a community so various comment functions have been used. I was a huge fan of CommentLuv Premium and may test to see if it will work in Classic Press as it is old enough to probably work.

Of the above, the ability to deal with 1000s of spam comments a day without touching them is the most important.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Table of contents plugin

I have Query Monitor and some special developer tools for ClassicPress and can make them available to you, Broken Link Checker i use in PSource Edition over 2 Years, ask ne, i make my Plugins Ready for you in my PSource Repo, i have it in Use specially for ClassicPress🤷 Also a Fork von a Badge/Achievment System and and and all Working Fine With ClassicPress because i use it over Years With ClassicPress and i build my own PSource Editions to keep it for People Like you. I am overhauling my Repo so Take a Look a the next days, i will Publish more of my Plugins and Publish my Development Tools for you. I can make it all compatible with ClassicCommerce and ClassicSeo, thats No Problem

and maybe then an appreciation goes astray on my donation account

Very important spam plugin, like AntiSpam Bee would be top of list. (Akismet phones-home to wp.com and I never use it for that reason).

But my nomination to qualify as a must-have plugin for ClassicPress is a page builder that is so simple it takes up no space or bandwidth at all, compared to other page builders. This one is MixMat-TSW* and is in Beta version, so let me know what you think about improvements. (Beta only has four types of page “blocks” (I call them Sections) Adding the rest of the basic spans soon).
*TSW is my developer abbreviation added to the end of plugin name. There is already a MixMat plugin I made for WP but it is shortcodes… this plugin is insertContent with tinymce script.

This is what I feared Featured Image by URL – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org this supplement.
It can’t be downloaded for now, and then it will either shut down completely or switch to gutenberg.
And for this supplement, I don’t know an alternative for now

1 Like

You should be able to download a copy of the plugin from developer’s Github repository:

The plugin is under review by WP’s plugin team, which usually means there’s a security issue or some violation of guidelines. It may return or be closed permanently.

We are working on ClassicPress v2.0, which is based on WP v6. So plugins/themes requiring WP v5+ should begin to work again. Every plugin/theme is different, so I can’t guarantee all will work.

But, for the featured images by URL feature, Featured Image from URL (FIFU) plugin should work in ClassicPress v2.0 when released. There’s only one function that requires WP v5.3 - wp_get_registered_image_subsizes.

I have this plugin with the latest possible update and use it on all my pages:
I have XAMPP so it makes sense that it’s on the computer.
I used Featured Image from URL until it switched to gutenberg
One page on localhost was broken (fatal error)_
so I was looking for an alternative and came across featured-image-by-url which seems even better than Featured Image from URL:
So for now and whenever there is an opportunity to update this plugin I won’t update it until I’m sure it won’t break my site
I was hoping that @alvarofranz would make a fork of this plugin as he announced

Does this mean that ClassicPress v2.0 which is based on WP v6 and CP is slightly moving to a block editor

In any case, I thank you

Not moving to blocks. Just taking from WP 6 the code we need to update PHP and other things in CP. And some functions that we didn’t have the manpower to backport to stay current with latest standards.
CP will always have the Classic Editor.
Being based on WP 6 however, all themes and plugins declaring they work from 5 and up might work if they have code for the Classic Editor.

2 Likes

Elisabetta is correct. No blocks. Classic editor will continue to be the default editor.

3 Likes