What does "Powerful, Versatile, Predictable" mean to you?

@MrLucky - just out of interest, how do you feel about the word “professional”. Does that have any negative connotations?

1 Like

None at all that I can think of. I would say my main sites (not solely Wordpress or Classicpress) are hobbies, as the income is barely enough for someone to call professional, and it is all donate to charities. But some small part of the sites are professional in that they form a showreel for my professional activities as a composer. But overall I would aspire to a professional looking and feeling site. I like professional. Other words I like ar “modern” - oops how does that fit with '“classic?”

I think amateur of course has negative connotations, but interestingly not didn’t used to (I think) I may be wrong but at some stage in the arts “professional” meant the commercial artist, and as there was so little money to be made with “fine” art, then it was something amateurs did.

1 Like

What Powerful, Versatile, Predictable mean to me?

Nothing actually.

I need something stable, secure and easy to use.

1 Like

Yes, I like the “stable” and “secure” words too.

Probably my three would be: stable, secure, practical

And I think I like “professional” more than “business”.

2 Likes

I think that these are the words that make sense to most people. The majority of those who use such cms are not professional web designers and they don’t run any kind of official business.
There are of course those who do have companies that offer hosting and websites but these are not the majority of the users.
Whatever motto is to be used it has to make sense to “hoi polloi”. At the end of the day these “polloi” are those who advance the popularity of the /any cms. Not “hoi ligoi” ( the opposite of the polloi - means the few).

3 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Slogan vs Tagline

Company name and slogan should not be confused with SEO Titles, sub-titles and tags.
Searching for ClassicPress homepage using Google, it seems that the SEO title got too long and Google simply cut it off.
You do indeed have a limited space to say what you want, or do…

1 Like

Screenshot copied from other thread:

44%20PM

@BlueSkyPhoenix @raygulick this would definitely be a good thing to fix.

ClassicPress - The professional CMS. Powerful. Versatile. Predictable.

I wonder if this would be enough to get the title to fit on one line? I’m not familiar with Google’s rules here.

If we do end up making a change here, it’s going to be a good bit of work already, so let’s make sure we plan what we want to do carefully.

1 Like

Google just increased their character count on titles to about 70-ish. You get a couple more for mobile. Descriptions need to stay around 150 characters.

1 Like

This is a rather long tittle and description.
It should be something like:

ClassicPress- Stable, Secure, User Friendly CMS

6 words 47 characters with the spaces.

1 Like

Something like ClassicPress CMS: Powerful Web Development for Professionals perhaps? I think it’s important to get the “CMS” part in early.

I think that using “CMS” is only relevant if we’re targeting a user-base that understands and appreciates what a CMS is. When I’m working with clients (granted, many are solo or startup small businesses) I find that most don’t even know what CMS stands for or what it means to their website. That said, it’s only 3 letters…

1 Like

Slogan: ClassicPress, A Professional Content Management System
Tagline: Fast, Powerful and Secure CMS

1 Like

I agree. The majority of users don’t know what CMS means. They know what a CMS is used for ( a website, a blog etc) but not what these letters mean.
The matter is that most platform developers don’t bother to get into the mind of the end users of the product that they develop. They don’t understand that the average users don’t have a clue about what is called the one or the other thing while those who do have some knowledge on the matter, don’t need explanatory tittles and with or without the word “professional” they are able to deal with any platform or application.

I think that ClassicPress should focus on the majority.

WP was the one that already focused on the minority that professionally designs websites and that is the reason it switched to the advanced -made for designing purposes -editor.

1 Like

I agree that many end users won’t know, nor care, what CMS means but I must confess that I’m now a bit confused as to exactly who CP is aimed at. I need to go back to basics.

My understanding of Gutenberg is that is was introduced, in part at least, to allow WP to compete with ‘end user’ diy web builders such as Wix, Squarespace, Weebly etc. Dumbing down if you like.

Now, my understand of CP is that it’s aimed primarily at the more tech savvy end user / developer type person. People who like to get their hands dirty and not be told “it’s our way or no way”. People who do know what a CMS is.

Please correct me if I’m wrong and I’ll bow out gracefully. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Quite simple really. CP is aimed at “business” users. :grin:

What this means in real terms though is still being discussed. I’m a little fuzzy on the whole target market thing really, but it might help you to read this very good article from Ray… Why Choose ClassicPress for Your Business / Pro Website CMS?

But I see your point about CMS… actually the same thought had occurred to me too.

3 Likes

If Wix and Squarespace and Weebly were so user friendly then why was WP the most popular CMS? It was because it was the easier to setup and use. Even for the completely clueless users, that are btw the majority of users.

I can’t tell what were the intentions. I personally switched to CP because I found Gutenberg extremely complicated to use and also because I got bored of the continuous updates and upgrades that turned my website’s layout upside down and forced me to fix continuously something there. In other words instead of spending time to post something about my art, I was forced to spend time to fix what was messed up and then write what I wanted to.

To the average WP users who don’t want to built a page at the same time that they are trying to write or publish a damn post.
To those who are a bit a minimalists and like simplicity in their lives.
It is already hard enough to write properly, I mean something that will make sense and be interesting. No one needs on top of writing something meaningful to have to built a fancy page simultaneously!
At the end of the day that is the reason the average user is asked from the very beginning to choose a theme. In order not to have to choose and have to change the layout of each post or page each and every time s/he publishing something new.

How Gutenberg, that is a page builder, is possible to interest the end user who is the average blogger, website owner etc? I mean that the process of building a website is needed once.
How many times are needed to build the website? Why should someone have to rearrange the layout of each and every post or page?

The previous editor, was suitable for all types of jobs. For those who just want to publish something and to those who wanted to mess up with the code and make something more complicated.
Gutenberg is not this kind of text editor. It is not in fact a text editor. It is a page builder.

2 Likes

@Marialena.S I can respond to your first question.
WP was born years before wix, Weebly and co.
Those website builder came to life to satisfy the “non-coders’ need to have a great site”.
WP started to loose grip cause of them, that is why it’s moving towards a block experience.
Further down you give your ideas about target. You just describe WP’s target. I do not agree with this. If we want to be different we need to cater the needs of a niche.
CP listens to business (who happen to want a no fuss, uncomplicated publishing experience, I agree) but we can’t listen to bloggers also. Bloggers aim to different things than businesses. And I don’t agree to go down the road of opposing GB. yes, CP relies on classic editor. But this is not it’s core feature. We want to stand out for performance, site speed, less bloated code, security. Not just because we have no Gutenberg inside.
Edited to add: obviously everyone can use CP, but only business users are going to find specific functions catering to their specific needs. I think however the common people will largely benefit from CP targeting businesses.

1 Like

I think we need to separate the technical aspects of this screenshot from the message we want to deliver on the website. That Google listing is only for the homepage.

The first line is contained within the “title” tags and consists of the Site Title and Tagline entered in the Admin panel.

The description is what Google found when it crawled the homepage. That should be within the “meta description” tags instead, so we can tell Google what we want it to display.

Take this for example:

ClassicPress - Seriously simple software for sites of all types. (65 characters)
Whether you are a professional organization or simply a blogger, we give you back the classic style of WordPress and its plugins - without Gutenberg. (150 Characters)

Codewise it would be:

<title>ClassicPress - Seriously simple software for sites of all types.</title>
<meta name="description" content="Whether you are a professional organization or simply a 
blogger, we give you back the classic style of WordPress and its plugins, without Gutenberg." / >

You can then use whatever words you like to explain the purpose, mission, benefits, etc of ClassicPress on the actual website. You can also modify your slogan whenever you like, without affecting the Google listing.

I’m not saying we should use those exact words, merely that the listing should be informative and a teaser, enticing visitors to click on the link to learn more.

2 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Market Share of WP