What does "Powerful, Versatile, Predictable" mean to you?

@BMJinGA, I’m sure that your Jeff would have fit right in here. Thanks for sharing such a personal story, and for being part of our community.

7 Likes

I have some intermediate results. They by no means are for the tagline purpose, but may be used like a soundbits in communication. Press release, for example.

Content management system, focused on content management, not a blocks playground system, focused on block government.

Creating content vs. creating a layout.

CP v.2 going to be like a PRO version of the ordinary WP.

5 Likes

Other then just sounding really great, I do have a bit of an idea of what each individual word means to me:

Powerful
Secure. Can handle some tugging and prodding. Runs smoothly with any size website.

Versatile
Available for many different kinds of projects. Can run simple blogs but also complex multi-layered webshops or big multisite installations.

Predictable
If I install this now, I don’t have to worry that somebody will change the whole thing overnight. I can always predict what the next step is, and can even guarantee continued support for the long haul.

1 Like

Creating content vs. creating a layout.

I love that.

3 Likes

Yes, that was my favourite too. Succinct, but says it all.

4 Likes

@LinasSimonis tell me more about “Creating content vs. creating a layout”.

Can you elaborate?

1 Like

ClassicPress focuses on the creating text content, TinyMCE is the most familiar and most productive text editor, very similar to desktop text editors, etc, etc. Gutenberg is about creating a layout, many text writers complain about difficulties to write fast and lost of productivity.

Gutenberg created ability to create a layout of the page and sacrifised convenience and speed of content creating. So, if your focus is not the ability to create a different layout for every page, and you want productivity in content creating, you should choose CP. If you want to play with blocks - please, choose WP.

6 Likes

Thanks! This is helpful!

I think that what WP has confused is word processing with text editing. These two are not synonymous. Writing text is not the same with editing it. You need first to write the/any text in order to be able to edit and present it.
It is impossible to do these two tasks simultaneously.

4 Likes

I suspect they’re not confused, but created this for the Automattic Newspack product.

Writers write the content and give to editor who puts it into Wordpress and does the layout. The fact that it isn’t suitable for people who don’t work this way is not important to them; it is Newspack which will get them money.

6 Likes

I have a problem with the word Predictable regarding marketing. Yes of course we want our software to work every day as it did the day before and know it will do so in the future. But there are connotations of boringness, as if there will never be any innovation. (ie useful innovation as opposed to things like Gutenberg). I know this is ironic because we do want to predict that the editor will always allow us us to work without blocks, but it’s a word that no marketing experts have used as far as I know and for a good reason. I would go for words like consistency or reliability - anything that implies trust without the boring conservativeness.

L’Oreal - because you are predictable
KFC Finger licking predictable
Kelloggs Frosties - They’re PR-R-R-edictable
De Beers - a diamond is predictable
Carlsberg - probably the most predictable beer in the world
Audi - Vorsprung durch Vorhersagbarkeit
Apple - think predictable (!)

One of the best slogans though:

Ronseal – It Does Exactly What it Says on the Tin

ie it’s predictable but they found a better marketing way of saying it.

5 Likes

I agree ‘predictable’ is not a sexy word; maybe ‘reliable’ is a better word to represent what we’re trying to say.

3 Likes

I like “stable” myself, but in the context of a piece of software, “predictable”, “reliable”, and “stable” are all pretty much synonyms.

“Predictable” isn’t a great word to use to describe a person, in that context it sounds more like “boring”.

But for software, this is actually exactly what I want! It’s very important to be able to form an accurate mental model of a piece of software: “when I do X, Y happens, every time, and quickly.”

I really like this! As development lead this is 100% my goal for ClassicPress.

We started with WP 4.9, which is already pretty good in this regard, and we have nowhere to go but up!

3 Likes

Here are some of the words that immediately come to my mind when thinking of CP or when thinking of what I’d be looking for in a new CMS. In no particular order . . .

loyal, trusty, dependable, familiar, open, modern, secure, active, inclusive, flexible, robust, mature, clean, consistent, efficient, effective, no-nonsense, productive, harmonious, congruous, community driven, highly-regarded, well-supported, adaptable.

I’m sure there’s plenty more.

3 Likes

Why we need " Powerful. Versatile. Predictable" at all? It dilutes “The business-focused CMS”

Well said by LinasSinomis - maybe refine the business tag even more -

The Business Press
The Classic Business Press etc. :slight_smile:

I think business focussed CMS would put a lot of people off, if certainly puts me off

2 Likes

@MrLucky Why is that? Looks to me like your website is for your business.

1 Like

My personal take, it sounds like it is for enterprises, not SMBs.

1 Like

This is part of a special series about great rivalries: between tech titans, sports franchises, and even dinosaur hunters. Read about the series here .

In 1962, Avis was in search of a new advertising campaign. Since its inception, the car rental company had trailed behind the market leader, Hertz. So the ad agency Doyle Dane Bernbach decided to embrace Avis’ second-place status as a sneaky way to tout the brand’s customer service. “When you’re only No. 2, you try harder,” went the new tagline. “Or else.”

The “We Try Harder” ads were an instant hit. Within a year, Avis went from losing $3.2 million to earning $1.2 million—the first time it had been profitable in more than a decade. From 1963 to 1966, as Hertz ignored the Avis campaign, the market-share percentage gap between the two brands shrunk from 61–29 to 49–36. Terrified Hertz executives projected that by 1968 Avis might need a new ad campaign—because it would no longer be No. 2.

1 Like

I know it may seem irrational, something deep within my subconscious doesn’t like the word “business” . I associate it with the Finacail Times, Stock market, boating corporate websites.

Yes my main sites are sort of business, but they are non-profit and mostly education, music and social oriented.

When I occassionally browse through sites selling Wordpress themes, there is usually a “business” theme and I rarely like them.

I don’t think I’m the only person who may have this kind of prejudice. If ClassicPress’s aim is to attract only businesses, purely commercial and corporate then it’s probably a good word, but if it is to also attract hobbyists,bloggers, art and music then I think it is not so good.

Either way the “image” of the site is usually defined by the theme (whether off the shelf or custom developed) as opposed to the software which is really just a vehicle. In itself I don’t see how ClassicPress can be labelled as business oriented.

Yes, you could say it’s good for developers, especially as WP gets less good for them.

3 Likes