WP 5+ plugin updates and security concern

Is this something we can squeeze into 1.3.x or wait until 1.4 or 2.0?

1.3.0 is already in the release candidate stage with the recent release of 1.3.0-rc2. A release candidate should be exactly the same as the final release, unless there are issues with the changes to be included in that release, so 1.3.0 is already set.

I would consider this a new feature suitable for a minor release, so this could be released with 1.4.0 if it is coded in time.

1 Like

Right, when I wrote 1.3.x I meant more like 1.3.1, 1.3.2, etc.

A patch release like 1.3.1 would be for bugfixes or to fix specific vulnerabilities in the core code itself, which isnā€™t really the case here.

The difference is just semantics though - 1.4.0 can be released as soon as we think we have something ready which warrants the release.

3 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Discussion of development practices

After I added @Simoneā€™s awesome plugin in response to this conversation, I am more motivated than ever to move all my sites from WP4.9 to CP, I didnā€™t even realize how many of the plugins on those WP sites had been updated!

I would think that besides the plugins screen, it should be on the updates screen, maybe even in the admin bar next to the updates notification. Even though I rarely look at either maybe some rely on them.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve just released a new version of CPCompatibility.
It speeds up things and limits API requests.
Iā€™ve revisited the code to make it cleaner (and object oriented) so it can be used to add functionality to core.

Seems that the API is returning results only if the update is compatible with the installed WP version, so there is no already fetched data.

5 Likes

I brought this up at WP Slack.

5 Likes