Admin: Add Plugin- displays an error

Expected behavior

Regular usage of the “Add Plugin” function, just like always. As a matter of fact, this screen didn’t display any errors the day before.

Current behavior

Overview / Popular tab displays the error: " An unexpected error occurred. Something may be wrong with ClassicPress.net or this server’s configuration. If you continue to have problems, please try the support forums."

Also, searches using the search form return nothing, ie. the loading animation is being displayed … and then the above mentioned error message appears.

Possible solution

I aint have the faintest clue why this happened. Out of the blue, access to the cp.net API seems to be blocked. Even disabling the only plugin I yesterday installed changed nothing, so its definitelly gotta be something going wrong, either from my install to cp.net or from cp.net to the wp.org API.

I am fetching Query Monitor for further analysis.

Yes, cp.net look to be blocked but I don’t encounter problems on add-plugin, I just upload and activate one (direct upload). The dasboard load a litte bit lazy, first, with some errors. On the second login, it works normally. (I cleared the transients and the cache using Sweep and Clear Cache).

Well, I’m using the direct upload workaround for now, too. Wish there was a separate screen for that, though - it’d certainly speed up things.

cu, w0lf.

All looks good here, tested on 2 different sites on 2 different servers… this means it is probably an issue with the specific server or hosting company, or something else along the network path of your site’s connection to WordPress.org:

Using Query Monitor to debug is a good idea. You should see at least one request to https://api.wordpress.org/plugins/info/1.0/ - and you may have to clear transients from the DB before this request will be made.

This specific error message should probably say “WordPress.org” since we are still pulling plugin data from there.

I’m getting two of them, and both are curl fetch timeouts, but still both have received at least some return data.

Its my wp-devil.de site - going to test from server side, maybe its an issue with their uplink.

cu, w0lf.

And all in a sudden, it works again. Very strange!

Maybe the wp.org server was overloaded / briefly down for maintenance?

cu, w0lf.

1 Like

That’s my guess for that part if the issue. I’ve been experiencing this issue intermittently on WP installs for months. It’s always that same call to WP that fails.

2 Likes

Sounds likely to me. I guess we need to hurry up with our plugin directory :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.