Alpha Launch of The ClassicPress Directory

Oh, got it, so for now I’ll just use the submission form. Thanks!

1 Like

Great job guys! Glad to see directory is coming together nicely.

3 Likes

You can continue to use Update Manager along with the directory. Once ClassicPress has the ability to pull directory-listed plugins into the dashboard, you can then remove the update client file (and the line that includes it) from your plugins to switch back to using the core update system. For plugins that aren’t listed in the directory, (such as custom utility plugins,) no changes are required.

3 Likes

Since I barely understand how the Update Manager works, I will need help when that happens.

Interesting you say users will be able to access the directory from the dashboard. I was wondering how anyone would know the directory exists.

I knew we were creating a directory and not a repository, but that statement seems to suggest it will be working as one. As you can tell, it doesn’t take much to confuse me :rofl:

1 Like

From a non-technical point of view, a directory is no different from a repository.

The main technical difference is that with a repository, the plugin and all code is managed by the repository, but a directory points at individual repositories (on GitHub) managed by the developer.

Removing Update manager is very easy to do and several of us at least could help.

2 Likes

Ah, gotcha. So it’s a one-to-many as opposed to a one-to-one. Clever.

1 Like

We are aiming for this, but it will take time to build everything else up around the directory in order to support it being implemented into the dashboard. One step at a time, first step is building a dedicated space for plugins and themes to be listed and managed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, these things take time. You have to move one step at a time. But it is good to know what the objective is. Sounds good to me.

1 Like

No problem. If you need an assist with the Update Manager, let me know. I’m pretty quick on the draw. :slight_smile: Also, as @azurecurve mentioned, there are others who are willing and able to help.

I don’t have any inside information; just assuming how it will work. My thinking is that the directory-listed plugins will eventually be listed in the dashboard under Plugins > Add New (similar to how it is with WordPress) because it’s both familiar and easy to use.

The confusion (probably) stems from the fact that WP holds plugins in repositories (at plugins.svn.wordpress.org), but, also presents those plugins as a directory (both at WordPress Plugins | WordPress.org and in the dashboard.) CP developers manage our own repositories (at GitHub, et al) and the CP directory just lists them all in one place so users can find them easily. To clarify, WP has repositories that also work as a directory, whereas CP has a directory that only works as a directory.

2 Likes

I mentioned this in Slack, but it applies here also:
there is discussion at WP to put another key field in the plugin header, to indicate where the plugin should update from. This idea would be great for CP integrating with WP.
https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14179#comment:53

At a very high level the changes would look something like this:

• Update wordpress.org to reject themes/plugins which have this header containing a value other than wordpress.org
  • Leave core as-is - it can ignore this header and still pass everything through to the update APIs, which will be responsible for responding appropriately
  • Add hooks to the core update processes to allow filtering the update responses, so that custom update logic can be applied when updates are to be served by something other than wordpress.org.
2 Likes

An important step in the evolution of ClassicPress, can’t wait for the Themes one to get out.

7 Likes

Is there a GitHub repo for directory itself? I didn’t see one. So we can submit issues/bugs.

3 Likes

No public repo yet, one day hopefully!

For bugs and issues for now we can make a new support category here on the forums. I will set this up tomorrow, for now though you can DM me :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: got around to it since I had a little bit of time, new Directory Support category is ready and has some previously reported bugs there already too :slight_smile:

6 Likes