An idea for the adoption and differentiation of CP

I’ve been thinking if CP is just holding on to the past for a useless trip or if this does actually make any sense.

This is what I think, other than it being a nice project to train some PHP, Javascript and make some friends along the way. Having fun.

If we really make it to cut from WP (have an own DIrectory Plugin) and separate those denominated Core Plugins to free the Core to make it cleaner, leaner and more optimized… we could do this to gain users:

Prepacked Sites

This would be something like different ClassicPress builds prepacked with a bunch of specific plugins and a niche-oriented theme. So we would have:

1. Clothes e-commerce site

A Prepacked ClassicCommerce build with Classic Commerce and a shop oriented theme (instead of an old random twenty ten blog theme).

2. Personal portfolio

A Prepacked ClassicCommerce build with a Portfolio plugin and a theme that is oriented to showcase personal projects.

3. Insert more here…

So yeah you get the idea. This would be a fresh perspective on the situation which would show right from the first moment that ClassicPress is not only a Personal Blog thing. This would help increase adoption because it’s just the perfect way to setup simple sites or MVP pages for new ideas in different niches without losing the strength of a scalable and clean and robust CMS based on the amazing PHP language.

This would also differentiate CP from WP, in an obvious way.

1 Like

You mean having installation flavours? This could facilitate people and make agencies and freelancers work easy in a way, but it means CP has to develop all the pieces itself. What if a plugin packaged in a starter site gets abandoned?
It’s like putting too much work on top of what is already there.
You could instead say: this is CP. You can setup this, that and that following these tutorials OR you can hire one of our experts to do it for you.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to create 100 flavours, but 5 or 6 that are just very common. If they are very common, the respective plugins will be maintained anyway. But yeah, it’s just an idea that I am proposing.

This is a good idea. The proper execution is a theme/plugin combination. Astra theme does this well.

This is a good idea. In fact, this has crossed my mind before, and in my own sites building, I make first a “base setup” that I can reproduce on several sites, before customizing each one.

Each “setup” is made up of a tarball of the files (core+themes+plugins) and an SQL export of the database.