Another thing I've learned from ClassicPress

This is another area where I’ve noticed my behaviour has changed in the last year since I became involved with ClassicPress.

I used to get grumpy when something “didn’t work properly”. And I would just give up on it.

Now, I am much more likely to contact the dev and say '“Hey, there’s an issue here”, and provide screenshots and suggest what I think would be a better way to do it.

It’s quite liberating to feel you might be able to influence this in some small way. And I’ve noticed the devs love getting some feedback.

13 Likes

Thanks for sharing that.

7 Likes

Great to hear this, @ozfiddler

It can’t be underestimated how helpful this is, not only to the developer, but, to everyone using the plugin/widget/theme/whatever.

Over the years, I’ve seen some developers thrive on feedback while others take it as a personal attack. And, in fairness, I’ve seen end users take both approaches. The attitude that accompanies the report (whether it’s a GitHub issue, forum comment, social post, or otherwise) often sets the stage for the interaction, so, if you’re finding that developers are appreciative of your feedback, it’s likely because you approached the situation in such a positive way.

8 Likes

I have to admit, I’m now much more likely to start my correspondence with “Excuse me for pointing this out, but…” instead of “HEY YOU…”

7 Likes

Ha! I’ve seen some real doozies over the years…It’s easy to forget that it’s an actual person on the other end of the line.

This plugin is way too hard and the instructions are too long. I wasted all my time on this for nothing and that is 4 hours of my life I will never get back. I hope you get bird flu.
~ Love, an unappreciative user of your free plugin

PS to those types. No matter what you do, whether you enjoyed it or not, you’re not ever getting even a second of your life back. Now, git.

5 Likes