[BETA] Fork of Elementor with ClassicPress support

“When using the Elementor and Elementor Pro software, you receive all rights granted under the GPL.”.

4 Likes

Been over a year since a last touched the pro addon - didn’t realize they made it GPL compatible.

That makes things even more interesting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you build something on top of GPL software, it’s also GPL, by default, save for any trademarks, copyrighted texts, or proprietary images. There is no choice in the matter other than “do we make this available to the public or not.”

3 Likes

Totally agree with this. But for a long time after launching the pro addon they were adamant that it’s not under the terms of the GPL - it seems as though they had a change of heart or were convinced to.

1 Like

Yes, lots of developers have tried (over the decades) to protect their paid work by passing misinformation about the GPL…or simply refusing to know the facts. It seems Elementor finally saw the light, one way or another.

5 Likes

A quick update, I have been testing this further, without any issues. Has anyone else tried it?

2 Likes

Been testing on development sites and have not come across any issues so far.

I’ve also been testing with v2.9.2 (with a little change) on ClassicPress and have not hit any blockers/brick walls.

Also using a modified version of this addon to remove Elementor templates and add my own - it’s a WIP

Back to more testing and figuring things (under the hood nuts and bolts) out :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been testing on development sites first, but now I use it on 3 different live sites. No issues till now.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if Elementor’s premium extensions work, or will that functionality have to be rebuilt for the fork?

2 Likes

From my current testing Elementor Pro v2.7.3 seems to be working fine.

Elementor Pro v2.8.4 is not compatible as to it relies on new functionalities from the core plugin at v2.8.x

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m strongly considering a rebuild of my site and it looks like I’ll need the extras if I give Elementor a go… The question now is: where can we buy the 2.7.3 extensions? Or, are we in the realm of “just buy the latest versions and hope for the best?”

Those who already have a copy of the pro can rolleback to v2.7.3 as it’s defined as being the previous stable version
define( 'ELEMENTOR_PRO_VERSION', '2.8.4' );
define( 'ELEMENTOR_PRO_PREVIOUS_STABLE_VERSION', '2.7.3' );

I have a copy of v2.7.3 and seeing the included license is GPL I’m inclined to fork it and maintain it for our forked version of Elementor :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is good news! So, if I were to buy a 2.8.4 license with addons, would I then use (ie,) wpRollback to downgrade, or how does that work to downgrade it to 2.7.3?

Elementor core has a built in rollback functionality found under Elementor >> Tools >> Version control - you would use that to rollback to any of the previous versions

3 Likes

Oh, I had no idea! Sounds like a winner to me!!

2 Likes

You might wanna take a look at ElementsKit before forking out on Elementor Pro.

The only thing I don’t see with their pro version is the ability to build the posts/archive/404 templates as you can with Elementor Pro.

4 Likes

Wow, are you the Good News Fairy™ today, or what?! :smiley:

3 Likes

Now there’s a catchphrase/tagline if I ever saw one :grinning:

There’s a few more I know of from the past but I want to make sure they work with the fork before printing the names out!

3 Likes

I think any comparison of whether to adopt Classic Elements (?) vs Elementor Pro should include a comparison of what’s actually in the free vs pro versions. For example a 3-column chart that compares Elementor free vs Classic Elements vs Elementor Pro. Unfortunately I’m not the person to provide this, but it seems like something we’ll need if we want to convince people to use our fork.

5 Likes

+1 for “Classic Elements”.

3 Likes