ClassicPress 1.2.0-rc1 Release Notes

6 sites updated and switched to PHP 7.4.9… everything fine!

2 Likes

The reason for this is because it doesn’t make sense to select “use my custom image” when you haven’t chosen an image yet.

Still, the fact that you found this confusing means it’s probably not done in the most intuitive way. Here would be another way to do this - when you click the “use my custom image” buttons without an image set, show a message:

Is this better? Open to other suggestions also.

Edit - I made this change in a GitHub PR. You can try out the new behavior by installing this build using the migration plugin:

https://nylen.io/ClassicPress-v1.2.0-rc1+PR.618.zip

I don’t think we need to do an official rc2 release just for this change, but please do try the new build and let me know what you think!

5 Likes

Yes, that’s much better. It now works logically in either order (choosing radio button first or choosing image first), so I think the message should just say “Choose an image” or “Please choose an image”.

If you don’t choose an image and save the page then it reverts back to the CP option.

I guess the doc page hasn’t been written yet?

1 Like

One other suggestion. Could we have a little more space between the the top text and the first option? Like this…

1 Like

I meant “Choose an image first” as in “before this setting can take effect”, but “Please choose an image!” is fine too.

Not yet, anyone is welcome to submit this as a PR adding a new file to GitHub - ClassicPress/ClassicPress-docs: ClassicPress documentation content. Same with the new link for the privacy policy (#615). Otherwise I will get to it before the final release.

Could we have a little more space between the the top text and the first option?

Sure, I can add a few pixels, but I want to keep it clear that this is all part of the same setting and consistent with the rest of the design. Somewhere between 3-6px looks ok to me.

4 Likes

I was trying to remember how to contribute to docs. Found this…

I do recall trying this and it was really easy. Can you create a dummy page for these docs and then it might be easier to add to them, rather than have to put in a PR to create one from scratch.

3 Likes

Done:

3 Likes

Well, I made a start. I couldn’t work out how to add images (do we need images?).

3 Likes

I like images, especially if the content is long ish. The only exception if it’s boring legal stuff where no amount of images could make it interesting.

Images add a bit of “stickiness” and break the text up into readable chunks.

2 Likes

Yes, we should have screenshots of this feature in each of its modes (initially / not enabled, logo mode, banner mode).

Including images in the docs site is possible but that process needs some improvement. For now, you can just leave a placeholder like (image of mode X goes here) in your Markdown file, and we can attach the corresponding images to a comment on the PR (I have most of the screenshots we will need, if you want to just make the initial PR then I can attach them there). I will sort out the inclusion of the images from there.

2 Likes

OK, I’ve made the changes discussed above to the custom login image feature (update notice message, added some padding, and one other small improvement that’s described in the code comments). Another informal build is available for testing here: https://nylen.io/ClassicPress-v1.2.0-rc1+PR.618.v2.zip

Another specific area that’s good to test in this release is the media library JavaScript code and any functionality related to media in the admin dashboard. Some examples: uploading media, managing/editing media files, embedding media/video previews in the editor. This is due to the build process changes related to that code.

Other than that, and the two documentation pages, I’m not aware of anything else that needs to be done before the 1.2.0 release. Anyone got anything else?

5 Likes

OK - leave it with me and I’ll add some more text.

Can you confirm the mechanism for sizing. Looks like banner sets max-width: 320px; max-height: 240px;
and logo makes it max-width: 100px; max-height: 100px;

Just testing the new version - looks good and works well.

1 Like

I don’t have a multisite to try it on. Did you try it on a site that is installed in a subfolder?

1 Like

I’ve tried this on a half a dozen sites and no problems that I can see. I have revised the custom image doc with markers for 5 images to be added.

1 Like

Yep this is correct. You might mention something like “logo mode works best for square images, banner mode works best for images that are wider than they are tall, we recommend a ratio close to 2x1 or 3x1 for banners”

There’s nothing in there that would break if this is installed in a subfolder, and I’ve tried it there. There are automated tests working for multisite and it should be working well for each individual site in the multisite, but actually going through the flow there would be a good idea too.

2 Likes

Hi all and thanks for a fantastic and better version of WP!
I just got one question since running a RC version on a production site is usually not recommended.

When will 1.2 be released? Is there a roadmap? Are we talking days, weeks or months from now?

Welcome to ClassicPress. :slight_smile:

You can use version 1.1.4 (latest stable) if you prefer to not run an RC version in production. Stable versions typically follow the RC version within a week or two (from memory.) The roadmap is on the main ClassicPress site.

1 Like

Hi Code_Potent!

Thank you for such a quick and prompt reply – I appreciate it.
I’ll wait for the 1.2 version to be released considering the PHP 7.4 support.
I’ll continue to test it locally (XAMPP) until it’s released.

I was hoping for a WP_CACHE fix in the wp-settings.php file with version 1.2, but it seems it’s still an issue (not a big issue since it’s an easy fix, but still).

Not sure how to raise it so that the DEV team can address it?

2 Likes

No problem. :slight_smile:

If you have a GitHub account, you can report issues there. I’m not sure what you’re referring to with WP_CACHE, but, maybe this issue will be related.

If you’d like to suggest new features or major changes, you can create a petition and upvote the other existing petitions that you find interesting.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the same. I usually turn WP_CACHE on in wp-config.php and that way, use the built in cache system.

When doing so using ClassicPress (1.1.4 or the RC 1.2 version), the error described in the link you posted becomes available.

I think it would be beneficial for the community if the CP DEV team just replaced the code in the wp-settings.php file with the lines from the latest WordPress version.

At least that’s what I currently do. Anyhow, thanks for your help and for taking the time – appreciate it. This really seems like a good forum with good people.

4 Likes