ClassicPress 1.2.0-rc1 Release Notes

Welcome to ClassicPress. :slight_smile:

You can use version 1.1.4 (latest stable) if you prefer to not run an RC version in production. Stable versions typically follow the RC version within a week or two (from memory.) The roadmap is on the main ClassicPress site.

1 Like

Hi Code_Potent!

Thank you for such a quick and prompt reply – I appreciate it.
I’ll wait for the 1.2 version to be released considering the PHP 7.4 support.
I’ll continue to test it locally (XAMPP) until it’s released.

I was hoping for a WP_CACHE fix in the wp-settings.php file with version 1.2, but it seems it’s still an issue (not a big issue since it’s an easy fix, but still).

Not sure how to raise it so that the DEV team can address it?

2 Likes

No problem. :slight_smile:

If you have a GitHub account, you can report issues there. I’m not sure what you’re referring to with WP_CACHE, but, maybe this issue will be related.

If you’d like to suggest new features or major changes, you can create a petition and upvote the other existing petitions that you find interesting.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the same. I usually turn WP_CACHE on in wp-config.php and that way, use the built in cache system.

When doing so using ClassicPress (1.1.4 or the RC 1.2 version), the error described in the link you posted becomes available.

I think it would be beneficial for the community if the CP DEV team just replaced the code in the wp-settings.php file with the lines from the latest WordPress version.

At least that’s what I currently do. Anyhow, thanks for your help and for taking the time – appreciate it. This really seems like a good forum with good people.

4 Likes

Welcome @thesnippet.dev!

As discussed in the issue linked above: Turning on WP_CACHE by itself does not do anything, in either WordPress or ClassicPress!

When you turn on WP_CACHE without adding an “advanced caching drop-in”, WordPress used to show a warning, but they hid it in a recent 5.x version. This doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, because setting WP_CACHE without doing the rest of the “advanced caching” steps is actually an invalid configuration that will not work as intended.

This constant is designed to be set by plugins that do enable “advanced caching”, such as WP Super Cache. These plugins should take care of setting up both the constant and the rest of the caching system.

This will be out within the next few days. The release candidate is stable anyway, and only one minor issue has been reported with the new “custom login image” feature.

1 Like

Good to know (about the cache). I was under the impression that it worked alongside the server if the modules for memcache or redis are enabled, guess I was wrong or understood it incorrectly.

I’ll read more about it. About the 1.2 version, any idea on when it will be released? I got a few sites that I’m currently building offline (XAMPP) that I would like to push live during the weekend if possible – but I’m not keen on using the RC version (even though you say it’s stable) since I don’t know if there will be additional changes to the core between RC and 1.2

1 Like

Hi James,

It’s been a few days and I’m just wondering if it’s happening this week or next month or…
Just to get an idea so that I can plan ahead.

1 Like

1.2.0 final is out now: ClassicPress 1.2.0 Release Notes

2 Likes

I just tried out the new custom logo function on both my sites. Looks great!

Now I just need to see if my plugins are ready for PHP 7.4…

2 Likes

Thanks for this update. Can somebody just confirm that this will work in wp-cli before I try it?

wp core update https://github.com/ClassicPress/ClassicPress-release/archive/1.2.0.zip

Thanks.

1 Like

I’ve updated successfully all my CP installations with just
wp core update

Wow, really? I’d be scared that would revert everything back to bad old WP!

I updated one site manually (copying files via SFTP) to 1.2.0, but in the dashboard I’m still getting

ClassicPress 1.2.0 is available! Please update now

It might be relevant that I can’t update from the backend because of security permissions (something about not letting “web” write to the server)

Sometime I’ve got this kind of troubles when upgrading core or plugins using wp-cli (as root, not really a good thing to do) so then i have to fix permissions.

Hope not :sweat_smile: as i know it uses the CP/WP upgrade procedure so if it is CP it remains CP.

3 Likes

Upgrading via WP-CLI and wp core update works fine.

This may have been a partial copy (not all files were written correctly)? Otherwise, have you tried the “Check Again” button on the Dashboard > Updates screen?

1 Like

Thanks, James and Simone. WP-CLI worked fine to update the main site, and on the other site a reinstall with WP-CLI fixed the “Please update now” warning in the dashboard.

4 Likes