We’re happy to announce the first public release candidate for ClassicPress
Note this release is called
rc2 because in the process of preparing the original
1.4.0-rc1 release we quickly discovered and fixed an issue. This release was never made publicly available.
This release contains a few new features and a relatively large number of minor updates and fixes, as we have recently been going through the list of changes submitted to ClassicPress over the past ~year and accepting many of them. We have also started work on PHP 8 compatibility but this work is not finished so you will need to use PHP 7.x (7.4 recommended) with the 1.4.0 release series.
We encourage you to try out this release candidate by pasting the zipfile URL into the “Advanced” section of the migration plugin, and letting us know if you see any issues. See instructions and links below, under the “Download this release → Existing ClassicPress sites” section.
- Allow plugin and theme updates from an uploaded .zip file (#621, thanks @MattyRob and WP contributors)
- Add new ID column to posts/pages/CPTs admin screens, hidden by default (#786, thanks @alvarofranz)
- Add two direct plugin upload links to admin to bypass loading the WP plugin repo (#788, thanks @ozfiddler)
- Upgrade Dashicons to the latest version, making all icons in the Dashicons reference available for ClassicPress plugins (#769, thanks @MattyRob and WP contributors)
- Work towards PHP 8 compatibility (not finished yet; multiple PRs, thanks @MattyRob, @omukiguy, @timkaye and WP contributors)
- Improve accessibility of toggle switches on Widgets admin page (#787, thanks @MattyRob)
- Accessibility: Change the “Show / Hide dismissed updates” link to a button (#699, thanks @MarcoZ and WP contributors)
- Update the ClassicPress tagline (#784, thanks @smileBeda)
- Minimize a race condition when using an object cache (#789, thanks @timkaye and WP contributors)
- Ensure the proper action is triggered when a different action is selected in the top and bottom Quick/Bulk Edit forms (#588, thanks @MattyRob and WP contributors)
- Add more helpful user message when ‘heic’ images are uploaded (#773, thanks @MattyRob and WP contributors)
- Correct the inline docs for the
wp_kses_allowed_htmlfilter (#798, thanks @timkaye and WP contributors)
- Update oEmbed sources (#683, thanks @MattyRob and WP contributors)
permission_callbackin REST-API (#732, thanks @MattyRob and WP contributors)
- Upgrade SimplePie to latest version (#754, thanks @MattyRob and WP contributors)
- Upgrade PHPMailer to 6.x (#623, thanks @MattyRob and WP contributors)
- Fix “Required ClassicPress Version” text in plugins screen (#830, thanks @viktor)
- Unify “Back to”, “Return to”, “Go to” strings (#797) (#823, thanks @viktor and WP contributors)
usersparameters from data sent to upgrade API (#831, thanks @viktor)
- Always show filters on media and post list tables (#590, thanks @MattyRob and WP contributors)
- Ensure proper comment and page count for unapproved comments (#602, thanks @MattyRob and WP contributors)
- Update TinyMCE to the latest minor version, 4.9.11 (#819, thanks @MattyRob and WP contributors)
- Fix WP and other version specifiers in inline docs (#857)
WP_Queryis numeric (#592, thanks @MattyRob and WP contributors)
- Improve conflict detection/merging and other improvements to WP backport script (#825, #828, #847, and #832; thanks @MattyRob)
- Add maintainers’ guide (#822)
- Add new
get_term_parents_list()function (#742, thanks @smileBeda)
- Add new
wp_dropdown_users()function (#791, thanks @smileBeda)
- Do not ignore existing PHP files in wp-content/plugins folder (#824, thanks @viktor)
- Keep the automated tests running properly (e.g. #874, thanks @MattyRob and WP contributors)
- Keep all build dependencies up to date (multiple PRs, thanks renovate-bot)
A special thanks to the following first-time contributors in this release: @alvarofranz (#786), @ozfiddler (#788), @smileBeda (#784), and @viktor (#830). Most of these contributors were already active in various parts of the ClassicPress project but this release is the first one that contains one or more of their PRs.
and follow the installation instructions.
|Existing WordPress sites||Download the migration plugin and follow the migration instructions.|
|Existing ClassicPress sites||Use the “Advanced” section of the migration plugin to switch to the release build (same link as for “New sites” above). This version will be available using the built-in update mechanism when it is released as
The full changelog is available on GitHub.