Cultural Frames of Reference

Hmm… maybe I should have called it TL;DR instead for the snowflake generation :wink:

Not cool.

Is this a trans-Atlantic landmine I just stepped on? It’s ironic hyperbole over here.

It’s a derogatory term. Not a good look coming from leadership.

https://www.google.com/search?q=snowflake+generation

1 Like

I guess I got cut off in the other thread so sharing this here again:

I was unsure if the remark was directed towards me however I was not offended if it was. I see it in jest and the idea that I could be considered a young adult at this point tickles me somewhat.

I chose to believe that it was intended in a joking way. I was, as even I will admit, perhaps difficult to deal with in this thread :stuck_out_tongue:

I took it as a joke, too. Just a not-cool one. My feeling is that if you don’t call out a thing when you see it, then it becomes normalized (or, turns in local ironic hyperbole, as it were.) Here in the states, it has taken on weird political meanings, as well. Moreover, it’s an attack on a class of people, even though I do believe you didn’t intend it that way.

Yes, it was directed at you as you mentioned on Slack you’re from Scotland, hence would understand the joke.

@anon71687268 I think this is one of those marvellous examples of people being divided by a common language…

2 Likes

If this was a Europe-only environment where everyone is absolutely certain to get a local joke, then it wouldn’t be a thing. Since this is a global community, it’s not appropriate. That’s all.

Usenet solved this problem by using the context of both the person doing the replying and the person being replied to. i.e. it was assumed that they’d both understand the joke and everyone else would proceed accordingly, even if the joke wasn’t culturally appropriate for them.

Doing anything else is impossible - no-one can know what cultural implications any given phrase may have elsewhere.

However, perhaps this is another bit of Internet culture that got lost while everyone was busy reinventing things to work over HTTP. In which case, the committee need to come up with a policy.

1 Like