Discussion/proposal: Center lost password/back links on login page

Very strange footer then: there’s a massive gap between the first two links and the privacy policy. That’s the role of whitespace: to divide things up.

Yes that’s what we have been saying. It’s bad design. :slightly_smiling_face:

Even this would be an improvement.

I wasn’t part of that, but I assume that it is like a footer for the page, since it isn’t related to the page content. Footers are often centered, as are headers (logo).

1 Like

No, it indicates something. Though, if you want to left justify the privacy policy, that would be fine, as footers can be left justified too.

Here’s my opinion on it:

Anyway, if anything gets changed, do away with the arrow glyph – it’s intention is to indicate “back” which, as noted elsewhere here, is not correct. Not to mention that it throws off the balance of the text.

…and yes, the underline is intentional. Or, in place of that, perhaps a font size of 125% to help differentiate it.

6 Likes

Now this is more like it.

Gets my vote. @anon71687268 has nailed it! :+1:

1 Like

I created a PR which results in the following. Feel free to pick it apart.

5 Likes

What happens if there is no privacy policy? Does the reset link move under the visit?

Of course it does. :wink: I added an additional screenshot to the PR.

Awesome work, as always. In the second screenshot, without privacy link the “go to” link changes color to blue. Is that intentional? I would think keeping it dark gray wound be more consistent.

Yeah, it adopted a parent style. I didn’t hate it, so, I just left it as is – hence the “pick it apart” part.

EDIT: The “visit site” link is dark gray with or without privacy policy in the actual PR. I think I was hovering that link when I took the screenshot. I updated the screenshot. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it is a bad idea to have the privacy policy link on the same line as the lost password link.

2 Likes

You might add that to the PR. :slight_smile:

Let’s move @anon71687268’s PR into a formal petition, if we see community consensus around the implementation as shown then let’s move forward with the PR in 1.5.0.

1 Like

So far, we do not see community consensus on what to change here. Please move more carefully, starting by adopting the changes that WP has already made here and reviewing the surrounding discussions.

1 Like

I’ve closed this PR as needless. Apparently, someone will have to go over the historical reasoning behind the login screen and links before anything can be done. Another PR that meets the need can be opened when that’s all figured out.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Closing this, as discussion has since moved here: Center lost password/back links on login page

1 Like