Does anyone use Gitkraken?

Does anyone use Gitkraken https://www.gitkraken.com/ ?

I’d be interested to know how it compares with GitHub Desktop…and any other feedback you’d like to offer.

2 Likes

I never used anything but the terminal I’m afraid, but an ex-colleague swore that GitKraken was the best Git manager around. I have looked over his shoulder a couple times and it seems easy enough to set up and get going. Of course I know nothing about GitHub Desktop.

1 Like

Yes, I have read that it is supposed to be very good which is why it piqued my interest.

1 Like

Tower is better imo

1 Like

That looks good too. Decisions, decisions…

1 Like

I don’t understand. Using GitBash for sync betwn GitHub and Git Local (on ST3) or not syncing is so easy – and I have no claim to developer brilliance – that I’ve never felt any need to explore and I do like to explore. What’s the appeal? Curious.

I used to use Gitkraken (looking at my activation email, back in 2017), now I use PhpStorm’s built-in version control. I started using PhpStorm late last year and now I can’t use anything else :slight_smile:

1 Like

Generally I’ve seen a couple of problems with the GUI clients I’ve tried:

• You might not get a clear/accurate view of the status of the repository using the standard git terminology, which is important for Googling what’s going on and asking others for help.
  • You might not have the specific operation you need in order to inspect some part of your repository’s current status (files, commits, branches etc), or the program might not give you a way to get from where you are to where you want to be.

The best way to learn git is to learn what the standard git terms mean (repository, remote, branch, commit, etc), and then learning the commands/operations to inspect and modify each of these items.

If your git client offers all of that, then you will probably be fine. I know GitHub Desktop often shows a pretty simplified view of what is going on, which can be convenient but can also make it harder to understand what is going on behind the scenes. I can’t speak for the other GUI clients as I haven’t used them.

1 Like

That’s part of the problem with GitHub Desktop is that you never feel totally in control. And from what I’ve read about other GUI clients, some of them use generic terminology so that they can be used with Bitbucket etc. But Gitkraken caught my eye so thought I’d ask.

I do use the Git command line when working on Linux. I cut my teeth on Unix / Linux systems so the command line is second nature but I also work on Windows where I sometimes find that a GUI is preferable…for whatever reason.

1 Like