Don't upgrade Rankmathseo

In includes/admin/class_metabox.php line 97 inclusion of post-metabox.js depends on wp-hooks.
Don’t know why…
I solved (I’ve a custom plugin that tweaks CP) adding this line…
wp_enqueue_script('wp-hooks', true);
Surely this is not good code :sweat_smile:

Edit:
shall we suggest the author to add if ( function_exists( 'classicpress_version' ) ) {.... to fix the problem?

2 Likes

Definitely. Can you do that?

Sure… done!

2 Likes

Just responded in this thread on Rank Math’s forums…

https://support.rankmath.com/ticket/rankmath-admin-interface-parts-gone/#post-10323

1 Like

Upgraded to their .29 version and it seems to be functional again. I’d like to think we made a difference by suggesting they fix it and supplying them a general area in their system to consider how to fix it.

Personally, I believe that helps convince vendors and developers your not a whiny complainer, and you really want them to fix something - if you can help them in a broad way, by pointing out where they might have gone wrong in their own code.

13 Likes

The problems with the SEO plugins in ClassicPress will not end this case. In a previous discussion, I expressed the view that the only sure approach is the development of own SEO module in ClassicPress. I am even more confident today. The lack of a long-term and guaranteed solution hinders the expansion of the ClassicPress customer base. What’s more, if such problems get worse, the ClassicPress user base will begin to decline. No one wants to change and test SEO plugins every year.
Please, initiate a petition for own SEO module in ClassicPress!

Deeply respecting the work done by the community to have ClassicPress… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@KokoFresha everyone can initiate a petition just adding it on the petitions site.
And I believe such petition is already there (if I am not mistaken).
I think however including seo in core is not a good idea, CP is stripping core from unnecessary things and moving them to core plugins one may decide to activate basing on his needs.
Also, what if we ship a standard solution in core and someone instead wants to use his own choice plugin? Including things in core means not allowing people a free choice IMHO.

1 Like

@KokoFresha as Elisabetta said there are already petitions for a very basic SEO (Allow editing of page title and meta description, Sitemap Generation).

The key element is to have plugin and theme developer investing in ClassicPress, that want to

The same applies to every kind of plugin: forms, sliders, cache, security plugins are about in any site.
On one side CP could implement a core plugin to fix major compatibility issues, but attracting developers and - when possible - help them in the task of mantaining compatibility with CP is IMHO the right way to grow.

4 Likes

@ElisabettaCarrara , @Simone,

I see that there are petitions for parts of SEO. The idea, however, is to have a workable and reliable solution. It should not be mandatory but can be disabled in one click.
Once I’ve lost a week to change my SEO plug-in … and I will not do it again.
I see the efforts of many people to adapt the WordPress code to our needs, but the dependence of the whole project on several plugin developers for me is short-sighted.
Very often a similar topic appears in the forum, which indicates that the problem is repeated. It is logical that it will be repeated again. I do not intend to continue to give the same suggestion each time.
Good day to all!

1 Like

Likely broken again. This time lodash is the failing dependency.
The dependency however is satisfied in CP migrated from WP 5.

A ClassicPress SEO plugin is another thing where we need someone to step up and lead the project. I’m happy to facilitate by creating a GitHub repository and keeping things moving, get in touch with me here or on Slack if you’re interested.

I have not used Rank Math but this issue sounds to me like they have poor coding practices and the person who answered the support question(s) has no idea what went wrong or how to fix it.

3 Likes

Rank Math has issue again for me when upgrading to version 1.0.30.2.

This plugin looks interesting,

1 Like

I’ve told him what was wrong. The fix is very easy.
I’ve fixed in my “compatibility” plugin.
If someone wants to continue using rankmath have a look at my terrible code here on GitHub.

3 Likes

@Simone not wanting to get rid of rankmath SEO I tried your plugin (many thanks for working this solution out and for sharing it).
Unfortunately upon activation it threw a fatal error screen. Question, should I post an issue in GitHub or it’s better I pass the screenshot to you directly?

Thank you.
Please post an issue in GitHub so I’ll learn more about GitHub :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for being so quick to answer!
My doubt is the plugin is not working maybe due to some of the other plugins I have installed. I posted an issue on Github, let me know if you need some other infos.

I’ve tried to reproduce it on wpsandbox (thanks @anon71687268 for posting that sites) but it works.
Please try the corrected version. If it’s broken again please send ma a list of your active plugin and PHP version in use.
Thank you!

3 Likes

I will try this afternoon and let you know.
Thanks!

1 Like

Answered on GitHub. But wanted to keep this thread up-to-date also…
It works now! No need to abandon rankmath! Thank you very much @Simone!

1 Like

The idea that a random user has to fix even simple issues makes me think otherwise. While it may work again, I’d be looking for a replacement.

1 Like